Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asperger Syndrome: should I get a diagnosis? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so a bit of background from me. I'm 16, have decent grades at school, and I'm generally seen as very awkward... Over the past few months, I've been doing quite a bit of reading into the autism spectrum and AS and things have sort of started to click in my brain. I feel as though I fit into many of the symptoms I've read about, particularly those related to Asperger Syndrome.

I've done tests online many times (though I can't vouch for their medical validity) and I've routinely scored between 35 and 38. On one occasion I got a score of 41, but I'm assuming it is just an anomaly...

Now I have a few questions for some people with experience:
    1) If I do have AS or I am on the autism spectrum, should I have been diagnosed by now / when I was a little kid? I've read about people going into adulthood and having no idea, but idk...

2) Do you think I should go to my GP to sort out a diagnosis or just let it slide as me being paranoid about struggling on a social level?

It feels weird having come to these conclusions by myself, please let me know what you think...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Is it actually causing you problems?

There's virtually no support for adults.

ReputationRep:
    are you female? its' extremely common for girls with autistic spectrum conditions to go unnoticed as they tend to very good at 'getting by' and if your school doesn't have a lot of awareness of female specific autism then it's easy not to get picked up

if you're concerned have a chat with your doctor, you could get support through A levels and university which could be very helpful if you receive a diagnosis

ReputationRep:
    I've done tests online as well and it's came out with 36 points which is on aspergers scale but I havn't got an official diagnosis, I feel like I should but to e fair I am 25 now and what difference would it make now, I've been through whole of my life and managed somehow, I am awkward in social situations and lack awareness in some cases when it comes to higher emotions specifically empathy. it caused me lots of problems in that department but well what can I do, I can force it but its something that can't be genuinely learned as you just have to have it. its just something to do with how brain is developed and I did have like a scan of my brain and its came out there too. its a weird thing really.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    are you female? its' extremely common for girls with autistic spectrum conditions to go unnoticed as they tend to very good at 'getting by' and if your school doesn't have a lot of awareness of female specific autism then it's easy not to get picked up

if you're concerned have a chat with your doctor, you could get support through A levels and university which could be very helpful if you receive a diagnosis
    The OPs profile says they're male.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well get tested.
    Easier to know yes or no.

But actually, a lot of people feel like you.
    Social interaction is just really difficult frankly :shy2::yep: for everyone.

Quite a lot of people in novels as well I reckon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    The OPs profile says they're male.
    woops pretty useless comment then!

the advice still stands, at 16 it's definitely worth looking into for support (especially if OP could get a private assessment soon and use the diagnosis during their A levels)

ReputationRep:
    There isn't actually an "Asperger's" diagnosis anymore with the DSM-V. If anything you'll just get diagnosed on the "autism spectrum disorder level 1/2/3".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Those tests aren't that accurate. I did one of those tests and was then tested properly. I was told that because I have other diagnoses (and was also waiting to be diagnosed with other stuff) I am harder to test and there is a lot of cross over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.