Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've mentioned this a couple of times in different subforums, and I thought I had made up my mind, But I still don't know what to do!

I have an offer to study maths this October. However, I also love English but haven't study it for A-level (not even AS). I've emailed lots of admissions departments and they all seem to say that if I withdrew from UCAS, stayed at school for another year to do an A-level in English, It would show incredible commitment to the subject and would not affect my application at all if I wanted to apply to study English.

The only thing is I really don't want to go back to sixth form and study for a year - are there any part time English A-level courses you can do in a year? What if I wanted to go travelling in Canada for a year - could I gain myself an English A-level in a year whilst in Canada?

Is there any point wasting a year to do a degree which would have slightly less prospects than doing a maths degree? I really like the idea of travelling next year whilst doing the A-level but I just don't think its possible

ReputationRep:
    How would you submit your coursework when you were travelling?

ReputationRep:
    post it? don't people who do part time courses in Open University courses post off stuff? Or do they not? I actually have no idea how it works.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do Literature for A-level, yet I was accepted for a Film nd Literature course. Maybe they will accept you for an English and Mathematics course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    post it? don't people who do part time courses in Open University courses post off stuff? Or do they not? I actually have no idea how it works.
    yeah they do, the post it off. i think you could do it by open university but im not sure. anyone else know??

ReputationRep:
    Hi I did Psychology A level in a year at night school - 2.5 hours a night for two nights a week. You can find out whether you could do that by contacting your Adult Education Centre, or local council who should be able to give you more information. I couldnt recommend it highly enough. The classes are really small - at one point only two of us doing the A2 class, and the type of person is someone who really wants to learn. So, Id say go for that, do the A level in a year, work during a couple of days a week, then go to Canada for the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Another option is distance learning. I did my A-levels (including English Lit) this way - have a look at www.nec.ac.uk. Gives you loads of flexibility (and there's no coursework for this particular syllabus) but at the same time it might be hard to focus on studying, essay writing, etc. if you're actually travelling at the same time. I'd suggest work out some combination, such as:
    - Start the course now and work like a crazy person so that you can sit the exams in January and then leave to go travelling (you need to be in the country whilst sorting out your uni application to be available for interviews anyway)
    - Study the course over the year perhaps whilst working part-time to save up for a fantastic trip to Canada between exams ending in June and uni in October
    However, if you're determined enough (and can lug a load of books around with you), studying whilst travelling via this method wouldn't be a total impossibility. I always sent work and contacted my tutors via e-mail.
    Hope that helps a bit? If you want any other info about distance learning, or this course in particular, just let me know It's a great subject (and it's what I'll be doing at uni) so I wish you loads of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    yeah they do, the post it off. i think you could do it by open university but im not sure. anyone else know??
    I looked at the open university course but they only do degrees, not A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Another option is distance learning. I did my A-levels (including English Lit) this way - have a look at www.nec.ac.uk. Gives you loads of flexibility (and there's no coursework for this particular syllabus) but at the same time it might be hard to focus on studying, essay writing, etc. if you're actually travelling at the same time. I'd suggest work out some combination, such as:
    - Start the course now and work like a crazy person so that you can sit the exams in January and then leave to go travelling (you need to be in the country whilst sorting out your uni application to be available for interviews anyway)
    - Study the course over the year perhaps whilst working part-time to save up for a fantastic trip to Canada between exams ending in June and uni in October
    However, if you're determined enough (and can lug a load of books around with you), studying whilst travelling via this method wouldn't be a total impossibility. I always sent work and contacted my tutors via e-mail.
    Hope that helps a bit? If you want any other info about distance learning, or this course in particular, just let me know It's a great subject (and it's what I'll be doing at uni) so I wish you loads of luck!
    Hi - I was just looking at that site, it looks really good! So how is it taught? Is all the material just sent to me, I teach myself it, then turn up to an exam at some local exam centre? Is it that easy? The course I would consider is this http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/product...ategory_id=494

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.