The Student Room Group

Ps and CV?

What's the difference?
A personal statement is a letter where you specify your intentions for applying for a particular course.

A CV simply lists your skills/ability and work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by timebent
What's the difference?

You use one as part of your application to universities. And the other is part of your application for a job.

The content and style of writing for each are quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Incongruous
A personal statement is a letter where you specify your intentions for applying for a particular course.

A CV simply lists your skills/ability and work experience.

thanks
Original post by jneill
You use one as part of your application to universities. And the other is part of your application for a job.

The content and style of writing for each are quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

right so what sort of things would i put on a CV? i've got volunteering for 3 years at scope(and still going) but that's about it....
Reply 4
thanks

right so what sort of things would i put on a CV? i've got volunteering for 3 years at scope(and still going) but that's about it....

Are you applying for a job? You should also list your qualifications and relevant skills.

There's plenty of online CV templates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Are you applying for a job? You should also list your qualifications and relevant skills.

There's plenty of online CV templates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a temporary one. What sort of qualifications should i put on?
Reply 6
Just a temporary one. What sort of qualifications should i put on?

What sort of qualifications do you have? GCSEs, A-levels, etc, etc...

Have a look at
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/how-to-write-a-cv
and
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/example-cvs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

Ah right i see, so i c an put my GCSE's on there which aren't very good -.-'

thanks i'll be sure to look at those
Reply 8
Ah right i see, so i c an put my GCSE's on there which aren't very good -.-'

thanks i'll be sure to look at those

I presume you are at A-level stage, in which case your GCSEs are relevant. And if you omit them your prospective employer is likely to ask about them anyway.

If you are a 30yo with 10 years work experience and a degree under your belt then your GCSEs are irrelevant...
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
I presume you are at A-level stage, in which case your GCSEs are relevant. And if you omit them your prospective employer is likely to ask about them anyway.

If you are a 30yo with 10 years work experience and a degree under your belt then your GCSEs are irrelevant...

Yes ^-^ finished a year of AS now moving on to A-level.
So does volunteering at your local charity shop count as work experience or just volunteering?
Reply 10
Yes ^-^ finished a year of AS now moving on to A-level.
So does volunteering at your local charity shop count as work experience or just volunteering?

It's not a hard and fast definition. You haven't been paid for work by anyone but you are still doing work... it's work experience.

Voluteering might be used as a seperate category if you are in a full-time job but you also help out at the local charity shop at weekends, or something.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
It's not a hard and fast definition. You haven't been paid for work by anyone but you are still doing work... it's work experience.

Voluteering might be used as a seperate category if you are in a full-time job but you also help out at the local charity shop at weekends, or something.

I see, probably something like, i've gained x years worth of experience working at xxx should be ok...
Reply 12
I see, probably something like, i've gained x years worth of experience working at xxx should be ok...

Look at the templates. You don't write a CV in sentences (except maybe a introductory paragraph).

Also I'm going to ask @iEthan to move this thread to somewhere in Careers. It's not really "chat"...

Probably here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148
Original post by jneill
Look at the templates. You don't write a CV in sentences (except maybe a introductory paragraph).

Also I'm going to ask @iEthan to move this thread to somewhere in Careers. It's not really "chat"...

Thank you Mr @jneill! Moved. :five:
Reply 14
Original post by jneill

Oh right thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending