Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Amelia76)
    What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?
    Chem
    French
    Maths
    Physics

Physics and maths joint hardest even tho people say chem I don't find it that bad
    Physics - new A-level exams were shet
    Maths - M1 was shet for me (shet teacher)wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Chem
    French
    Maths
    Physics

Physics and maths joint hardest even tho people say chem I don't find it that bad
    Physics - new A-level exams were shet
    Maths - M1 was shet for me (shet teacher)wbu?
    Well I'm going into A levels this September and I hopefully want to take:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Psychology

How do you recommend me to revise for chem since your taking it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well I'm going into A levels this September and I hopefully want to take:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Psychology
    How do you recommend me to revise for chem since your taking it.
    Take good notes in class and write them up
    Do tons of past paper questions (especially multiple choice - weren't that many for me but should be lots for you - take advantage of them mademoiselle )Quizlet/memrise is good for definitions as there are lots of those
    Just pls dont do that much work in your summer now
    Treasure your summer whilst you have one
    Please! :adore:
    #CheeseOut
    If you have any more questions, feel free to fire zem at meh!

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics
    Further mathematics
    Economics
    Physics

Physics I dropped because the practical exams were too picky with mark schemes and teacher was shite.
    M2, S1 and D1 were my hardest maths modules.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I took (final grades in brackets):

BTEC in Software Development (D*D*D*)
    Maths (B)
    Psychology (B)
    Computing (A)
    Graphics (A)

BTEC was super easy, all coursework based and easy to get through. Computing was fairly easy, partly due to me doing the BTEC before and partly because it was simple content. Maths wasn't too hard, got more difficult in the second year and I started to lose motivation. Graphics was again all coursework so fairly straightforward. Was the easiest subject to improve in. Psychology was the hardest for a few reasons.

1. The amount of content (15 detailed studies in year 1 and 50 odd in year 2, plus other stuff) that we needed to know in detail
    2. The amount of writing in the exams (year 1 wasn't so bad, there was a year 2 paper that basically amounted to 2 hours of essay writing. That was hard work)
    3. The teacher. I did not get along with the second year teacher, she spent a lot of time doing pointless, childish stuff like role plays and watching films. Not acceptable at A Level as far as I'm concerned.

In general the content itself wasn't difficult to understand. It was very simple as a subject but the amount of content required for the exam was huge and really the exam was less about your psychological ability and more about how well you can remember key facts and how well you remember the model answers.

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    English Literature

The hardest I think was either English, because of the amount of time you need to put into it, and Biology because the mark schemes are so specific and you can't ramble on at all. In saying that though I really enjoyed all of my subjects, Chemistry was probably the biggest challenge but I loved it so I didn't mind putting the time into it to understand concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geography
    History
    English Language
    I.T (Dropped at A2)

I would say that Geography turned out to be the hardest just because of the sheer amount of content you had to remember

ReputationRep:
    I took: (as grades in brackets)
    Geography (A)
    Biology (B)
    Chemistry (A)
    Psychology (B) (resat this year to get an A hopefully)

Psychology was by far my hardest at AS; the volume of information they expect you to know is ridiculous.
    Geography was probably my hardest at A2; it took me a while to master the essay structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I took (final grades in brackets):

BTEC in Software Development (D*D*D*)
    Maths (B)
    Psychology (B)
    Computing (A)
    Graphics (A)

BTEC was super easy, all coursework based and easy to get through. Computing was fairly easy, partly due to me doing the BTEC before and partly because it was simple content. Maths wasn't too hard, got more difficult in the second year and I started to lose motivation. Graphics was again all coursework so fairly straightforward. Was the easiest subject to improve in. Psychology was the hardest for a few reasons.

1. The amount of content (15 detailed studies in year 1 and 50 odd in year 2, plus other stuff) that we needed to know in detail
    2. The amount of writing in the exams (year 1 wasn't so bad, there was a year 2 paper that basically amounted to 2 hours of essay writing. That was hard work)
    3. The teacher. I did not get along with the second year teacher, she spent a lot of time doing pointless, childish stuff like role plays and watching films. Not acceptable at A Level as far as I'm concerned.

In general the content itself wasn't difficult to understand. It was very simple as a subject but the amount of content required for the exam was huge and really the exam was less about your psychological ability and more about how well you can remember key facts and how well you remember the model answers.
    Psychology is one subject I'm hopefully going to take this September, my memory kind of sucks so what do you suggest i do to remember stuff? and how did you revise for this subject and what revision method did you find most to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coboyle098)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    English Literature

The hardest I think was either English, because of the amount of time you need to put into it, and Biology because the mark schemes are so specific and you can't ramble on at all. In saying that though I really enjoyed all of my subjects, Chemistry was probably the biggest challenge but I loved it so I didn't mind putting the time into it to understand concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did you revise for bio and chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I took: (as grades in brackets)
    Geography (A)
    Biology (B)
    Chemistry (A)
    Psychology (B) (resat this year to get an A hopefully)

Psychology was by far my hardest at AS; the volume of information they expect you to know is ridiculous.
    Geography was probably my hardest at A2; it took me a while to master the essay structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is your advice for Bio, chem and psychology in terms of revision and the subject in general?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking A-levels in September.

I'm doing:

Maths
    Further maths
    Government and politics
    and another subject I haven't chosen yet, either History or Computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Geography
    History
    English Language
    I.T (Dropped at A2)

I would say that Geography turned out to be the hardest just because of the sheer amount of content you had to remember

So what did you do to remember all the content?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    hi!!
    I m also going to go fr A levels this September and decided to take :
    Bio
    Chem
    Phy

ReputationRep:
    I took:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics (dropped this before Christmas because it was way too boring and I didn't want it to affect the rest of my grades)

My hardest subject was always Biology, since you have to learn so much and understand it all and be able to apply it all well, and then the mark schemes are always waayyyy to fussy. I hope I've got an A in it, but I'm not certain lol.

EDIT: This is all at AS level. I'm going to be dropping Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahida sulaiman)
    hi!!
    I m also going to go fr A levels this September and decided to take :
    Bio
    Chem
    Phy
    Don't you have to do maths if physics?

At my school they won't let you do physics without an A in maths + doing it at A-level o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I took:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics (dropped this before Christmas because it was way too boring and I didn't want it to affect the rest of my grades)

My hardest subject was always Biology, since you have to learn so much and understand it all and be able to apply it all well, and then the mark schemes are always waayyyy to fussy. I hope I've got an A in it, but I'm not certain lol.

EDIT: This is all at AS level. I'm going to be dropping Further Maths.
    Aw hopefully you got an A or even an A* you never know. How did you cope with bio and chem like how did you revise for them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Don't you have to do maths if physics?

At my school they won't let you do physics without an A in maths + doing it at A-level o.O
    No!!! I don't think so cuz I m going fr the medical field and it also depends on the college I go to if they make math compulsory then I will do it or else I won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahida sulaiman)
    No!!! I don't think so cuz I m going fr the medical field and it also depends on the college I go to if they make math compulsory then I will do it or else I won't
    I also want to do medicine, do i have to pick maths and physics if i want to do medicine?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.