Need advice pleeeease! Watch

shenzys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hiya, I just had my first day of work experience at a local hospital and am finding it very boring...I love the hospital surroundings but there isn't much to do-they just give me admin work to do but I want to see what the doctors are doing!!! Can anyone give me advice about what I can do to make my work experience more meaningfyul and LEARN SOMETHING!!! I talk to the patients and nurses and see what they do, like BP and blood sugar level and pulse checks...but what else can I do...
They placed me in the rehabilitation ward if this helps anyone to give me advice...and I can't move ward!!!
Please give me advice about what to do for th next 2 weeks!!!!!!!
Thank You! I'll rep good advice. :p:
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
are there any ward rounds or mdm discharge meetings you could go to?
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heh, sounds like the entire course of my work experience
Schmeevey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^yup, last year, i spent an entire week just talking to patients and sitting around. i was put with the nurses to *work-shadow* them. i managed to talk to one doctor about an x ray scan, who seemed rather reluctant to talk to another *work shadowing student*. but anyways, the experience really taught me a lot about the patient side of healthcare, including things i never even imagined of what they could possibly be going through.

so i think this would be really good opportunity for you to learn about the patients' feelings and worries- ask them how they are, ask them about their life, ask them about their future plans- anything to just get conversation going. and in the longterm, your help will make their day and it will also help you very much in your medical application- this is the kind of thing interviewers would want to hear- your personal experiences with patients (rather than a very long list of all the things you did that may sound impressive, but will not add the personal touch) by all means, do all of these, but make sure u have something to talk about from each task you do, including how it affects the patients. i found from my interviews that they take a very patient-based approach.
shenzys
Rep:
?
(Original post by randdom)
are there any ward rounds or mdm discharge meetings you could go to?
Nope, no ward rounds-well not anything i haven't seen already- I'm not allowed to shadow a doctor...This sucks...
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why aren't you allowed to shadow a doctor? Make tea, bring in nice biscuits, and smile nicely at a junior doc or two and see if you spend some time with them.

Have to say, I'm currently on work exp and wishing I could talk to the patients more, and spend less time with the docs! I'm in Paeds so there's always nurses fussing over them and most of them aren't old enough to hold a conversation. The doc's are as fed up of me as I am of them, so I keep getting sent to watch interesting procedures instead of sitting on their shoulder correcting their spelling errors
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shenzys)
Nope, no ward rounds-well not anything i haven't seen already- I'm not allowed to shadow a doctor...This sucks...
Have you asked if there are any ward rounds going on anywhere that you could join i am sure that they won't mind as it is just walking round the patients and you will pick up a lot about their management etc.

I would definatly try and hunt out discharge meetings, if it is a rehab ward i am sure that there must be something like that.
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was in the same position as you at the beginning of mine defiantly told me I didnt want to be a nurse that for sure but anyway just try talking to the doctors that are on the ward i would try F1 and F2s as they seemed to be the most accommodating atleast where i was the consultant are often more reluctant.

Also is their any volunteers your age as just the other week i was chasing round after one of the doctors i know while volunteering as the work experience girl was to afraid to approach him to shadow him.
shenzys
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice guyz, it's getting better, aside from talking to the patients, I got involved in a physio session and an art session-so its been okay.
There aren't any doctors from f1 and f2 only a registrar, a consultant and a SHO, and they are all too rushed off their feet for me to approach them.
I've got Friday and then next week to get through though...
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shenzys)
There aren't any doctors from f1 and f2 only a registrar, a consultant and a SHO, and they are all too rushed off their feet for me to approach them.
That seems weired to me ive just come in from my voluntary work and we currently have 2F1s 2F2s 3 Regs and a consultant on the ward i volunteer on and that at 5pm at night with 1F1 1F2 and a reg being on call but in the hospital from 7pm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (869)
80.09%
Leave (216)
19.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed