Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found this interesting article about how using our phones can negatively impact our lives. Here's a snippet:

We've all had that experience in which, instead of taking a moment and using our brains to try to come up with an answer to a question, we quickly turn to Google or another search engine on our smartphones to do the thinking for us. But there are so many other ways...
    • People's ability to complete basic tasks is diminished.Autocorrect and calculator apps pretty much eliminate the need to know basic maths and spelling.
    • People forget how to talk.So often when I’m at the school canteen, I look around and see people buried in their phones. If there are 100 people in the room, I’d say about a quarter of them are texting or using their phone. Have they forgotten how to talk? Maybe. Are they too anxious to talk? Perhaps.
    • People can’t read a map. There’s such a dependence on the phone to give verbal step-by-step directions that people don’t have a sense of where they are. They essentially have come to rely on a computerised voice to get them from point A to point B. What happens if their phone breaks or powers off? They'd certainly be lost.
    Do you think smartphones are making us dumber?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think that they are probably making us worse at certain tasks, but don't think they are making us dumber. I think having access to so much ready instruction and information is a good thing for example. I also think that making use of tools isn't a negative thing, and I'm not convinced that people would suddenly be helplessly lost if their GPS failed.

More importantly, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I think that they are probably making us worse at certain tasks, but don't think they are making us dumber. I think having access to so much ready instruction and information is a good thing for example. I also think that making use of tools isn't a negative thing, and I'm not convinced that people would suddenly be helplessly lost if their GPS failed.

More importantly, what do you think?
    I agree with the article, I think this generation is becoming lazier.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tianshan)
    I agree with the article, I think this generation is becoming lazier.
    Lazier does not mean dumber.

While it's correct that on the whole smartphone adoption does affect some tasks, it's not fair to say it's entirely negative. Without a smartphone would you carry a massive encyclopedia everywhere you went for research? Would you carry a camera just in case you want to take a photo? Would you be carrying multiple devices to do all the things your phone currently does?

It's also worth noting that the existence of phones doesn't make us dumber. We had calculators before smartphones existed but people still excel at Maths. We had dictionaries but people still excel at English. Phones streamline the entire process.

But let's say phones are making us dumber. Nobody can do mental maths anymore. Is that really a bad thing? The argument of "what if your phone breaks" is moot. Odds are you'll have some sort of device to perform calculations with, be it a calculator, computer or so on.

And of course we can look at it the other way. Are smartphones making us more culturally aware and social? I've spoken and made friends with people from all over the world. That simply wouldn't be possible without a smartphone (yeah you can argue that a computer can do it instead, but would we really be in a position to have computers and not smartphones when one is just a smaller version of the other)

People still choose to do things for themselves. Smartphones have some negative impacts but they have positive impacts as well which massively outweigh the negative.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with you. But smartphones have more positive impacts also.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.