Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, back in 2011 I was studying my first year in social work. I had applied in december or January earlier in the year. The august before i started my mum had a really bad stroke and was told there was a 50/50 chance of her surviving through surgery. She thankfully survived and was in a critical condition for about a month after.
    When the doctor gave my mum the all clear i begun my course in social work. For the first few months i was handling it ok i was parking at the hospital to visit mum in the morning then getting tube to uni, and visiting her after before driving home. She was discharged from hospital and came home in December and everything got a little manic. My sister and i were the only ones able to properly care for my mum so we took it in turns to stay home with her. My sister was also studying her PGCE and was nearly finished so her course took priority in a way.
    I rang the local council and they were little help suggesting my mum sell her house to get help and support which of course we couldn't do.
    So caring for mum became the priority and i stopped attending uni, i didn't contact them i just left. I should have contacted them but i kind of just didn't care anymore i just wanted to be with my mum. I also had a horrible experience with social workers in my area who literally laughed whilst i was on the phone crying for some support so i suppose that put me off my social work course too because i didn't want to become like them.
    So I'm back on my feet and so is my mum and we have a good care plan in our family to help us. So now I'm studying again but now im doing Biology and I've been told by student finance that I will have to pay for the first year as i have studied before. I briefly explained my situation and they said i apply for compelling personal reasons.
    So my question is, how do i do apply for cpr? What do i include? How do i structure it? Etc

Sorry for long explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ☺
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sash-be)
    Hi everyone, back in 2011 I was studying my first year in social work. I had applied in december or January earlier in the year. The august before i started my mum had a really bad stroke and was told there was a 50/50 chance of her surviving through surgery. She thankfully survived and was in a critical condition for about a month after.
    When the doctor gave my mum the all clear i begun my course in social work. For the first few months i was handling it ok i was parking at the hospital to visit mum in the morning then getting tube to uni, and visiting her after before driving home. She was discharged from hospital and came home in December and everything got a little manic. My sister and i were the only ones able to properly care for my mum so we took it in turns to stay home with her. My sister was also studying her PGCE and was nearly finished so her course took priority in a way.
    I rang the local council and they were little help suggesting my mum sell her house to get help and support which of course we couldn't do.
    So caring for mum became the priority and i stopped attending uni, i didn't contact them i just left. I should have contacted them but i kind of just didn't care anymore i just wanted to be with my mum. I also had a horrible experience with social workers in my area who literally laughed whilst i was on the phone crying for some support so i suppose that put me off my social work course too because i didn't want to become like them.
    So I'm back on my feet and so is my mum and we have a good care plan in our family to help us. So now I'm studying again but now im doing Biology and I've been told by student finance that I will have to pay for the first year as i have studied before. I briefly explained my situation and they said i apply for compelling personal reasons.
    So my question is, how do i do apply for cpr? What do i include? How do i structure it? Etc

Sorry for long explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ☺
    They should have sent through forms etc when they suggested you apply.

What you need is proof of your circumstances - so information from the hospital about your mum's stay there (and ideally her hospital release papers which should have spelled out her care needs). I'd also try contacting your local council and asking for a copy of their records of contact from you about your mum and her care needs/support plan - while social services can be unhelpful they also usually log every contact/phone call so the records should be helpful. If your GP or district nursing team were involved in your mum's care (or yours - GPs are supposed to be a key contact for carers...not that I've seen mine in years!) then any records they can send for the academic year involved will help too.

You then send all of this with a cover letter to SFE with the form they send (I think it's a separate address too).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.