Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I booked my driving test of £62 and I just found out that I also need to pay my driving instructor £71 on the day....

ReputationRep:
    Better empty the piggy bank!

ReputationRep:
    It was £60 for mine because I was his neighbour.

What a legend he was.

ReputationRep:
    that seems a lot. my instructor charged £40. 1 hour practice before test, 30-40 minutes on test, 15-20 minutes driving home.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would you assume you didn't need to pay? You won't just get a free ride to the test centre and the time you spend doing the test is time your instructor can't use for a proper lesson. It's pretty much expected that the time you're on your test will be debited as a lesson, not to mention it's common to have a lesson beforehand to keep you calm and get you ready. There's really nothing you can do about it and it's something you should have really realised before.

Or did you actually think you only had to pay the test centre, and your ride there and use of the car during the test would be free?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That is a huge amount of money. It's been 10 years since I received my driver's license. I live in America and I think that it is maybe $30 or about £24 to get your driver's license. The thinking in America is that if you make the fee too high you will prevent and exclude lower-income individuals to have the right, the privilege and the ability to drive a car. The right to drive your car should not be based on your income. Americans feel that is discrimination against lower income individuals and families. Most of America is not like Great Britain and other European countries where individuals can ride a train or subway to get to a destination. Cars are very important to the average American worker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why would you assume you didn't need to pay? You won't just get a free ride to the test centre and the time you spend doing the test is time your instructor can't use for a proper lesson. It's pretty much expected that the time you're on your test will be debited as a lesson, not to mention it's common to have a lesson beforehand to keep you calm and get you ready. There's really nothing you can do about it and it's something you should have really realised before.

Or did you actually think you only had to pay the test centre, and your ride there and use of the car during the test would be free?
    Why would you assume that I thought I didn't need to pay? Maybe if you'd stop with your unnecessary, unproductive and unhelpful condescension for a moment you'd actually stop and think that I was referring at the amount I have to pay him, rather than the fact I have to pay him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc-ren)
    that seems a lot. my instructor charged £40. 1 hour practice before test, 30-40 minutes on test, 15-20 minutes driving home.
    Yeah, my driving instructor said that the £71 is to cover 3 hours, even though the whoel driving test experience (including driving there and back and the lesson before.) is likely to cost less than that.

The thing is, is he usually charges £22 for a lesson (an hour each). i.e. £66 for three lesson/hours. So, I'm still not sure why I'm getting overcharged for something that will probably take less than the time I'm getting charged.

(Original post by emobambam)
    That is a huge amount of money. It's been 10 years since I received my driver's license. I live in America and I think that it is maybe $30 or about £24 to get your driver's license. The thinking in America is that if you make the fee too high you will prevent and exclude lower-income individuals to have the right, the privilege and the ability to drive a car. The right to drive your car should not be based on your income. Americans feel that is discrimination against lower income individuals and families. Most of America is not like Great Britain and other European countries where individuals can ride a train or subway to get to a destination. Cars are very important to the average American worker.

It's ashame they don't think like that over here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Why would you assume that I thought I didn't need to pay? Maybe if you'd stop with your unnecessary, unproductive and unhelpful condescension for a moment you'd actually stop and think that I was referring at the amount I have to pay him, rather than the fact I have to pay him.
    Because you never actually implied anything. Your title says "I didn't know this" and you mentioned the additional cost involved of paying your instructor. The logical assumption there is that you didn't know you'd need to pay.

Both effectively amount to the same thing (needing to pay vs needing to pay this amount). The issue you have is that the amount you need to pay is more than expected, regardless of whether that amount is £71 more or some other arbitrary amount. So based on the information we had at the time, my point stands. Why would you expect not to pay that amount?

With the extra information you've provided (£22 per hour lesson) the logical amount equates to £66 for the 3 hours. So as you say £71 seems like a very minor overcharge. Had you put that in the original post it would've been clear what the problem was. They won't charge you a flexible fee based on how long it takes, it's much more convenient to charge a flat rate. If it only takes 2 hours you'd be within rights to ask for the third hour fee back. There may be other fees that you aren't aware of that require the extra amount.

Ultimately the only person who will be able to explain the cost to you is your instructor. Ask directly why it's £71 and not £66. Ask if you'd get a refund/not have to pay if it takes less than 3 hours. When I passed the time was over 3 hours. Half an hour to drive to the centre, a one hour ish lesson beforehand, the test itself (around an hour since we had to arrive early, wait around, standard questions and the 40 minute practical) and a half hour drive home. Add in waiting times and all the other general faffing about and it was closer to 3.5 hours. I paid in blocks of 10 hours and my instructor was happy to refund the unused time.

You're not at all being overcharged until it actually happens. For all you know it may well take a little over 3 hours. The instructors do this a lot and have a good idea how long it will take.

Please don't get snarky for what was a perfectly reasonable assumption. You elected not to inform of us of the problem and the fees you presented seemed perfectly reasonable for the time involved. All that considering I had no idea of your cost per lesson. I'm not really sure what sort of help you were expecting when you posted the thread. You didn't present enough information for anyone to offer reasonable help and even then the exact costs are determined by your instructor. It would have been far more productive for you to simply call said instructor and ask them, rather than making a thread about it.

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay £50 (£6 more than normal 2 hour lesson) for my test. 1 hour beforehand and then 1 HR for test and then he obviously booked an extra half an hour for "Delays/driving me home ect" which was useful - since my driving test lasted an hour and 5 minutes 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    No idea what people are on about BTW OP. You pay for a standard 2 hour lesson. A 1 hour lesson/drive to the centre,40 mins for the test and the 20 mins drive home. Your instructor is taking the biscuit. Unless you usually pay £35 for an hour's lesson? Which would be banana's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SneakyPenguin)
    No idea what people are on about BTW OP. You pay for a standard 2 hour lesson. A 1 hour lesson/drive to the centre,40 mins for the test and the 20 mins drive home. Your instructor is taking the biscuit. Unless you usually pay £35 for an hour's lesson? Which would be banana's.
    Consider this though. You book a test for 11:11 which means the pre-test lesson will start at, say, 10am. You live 20 minutes from the test centre.

My diary has fixed time slots at 9am and 11am, 1:30pm and 3:30pm, each lesson lasting 1.5 hours and I allow half an hour between lessons for travel and comfort breaks. Due to personal circumstances these time slots are not variable.

So, on test day I cannot do a 9am lesson because I do not have an hour and a half available. I cannot do an 11am lesson because the test takes that slot. The test finishes at, say, 11:50. The drive home takes a further 20 minutes so I drop you at 10 past 12. Therefore, I have lost 3 hours out of my working/earning day. 3 hours at £25 per hour is £75. If I lose £75 taking you for test, should I only be reimbursed £50?

As it happens I only charge £50 for test day in spite of the amount of time it might take because I believe that is reasonable and I would rather have a recommendation (worth a lot) than an extra £25.

Sometimes it is not as clear as it might appear at first glance...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.