Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys
    Me and my boyfriend are going to have been apart for a few months by the time we can see each other again. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, we have romantic plans all made to look forwards to, but I feel weird. It's been a long time already and we try to Skype when we can (it's difficult because he's spending a lot of time in a country with very poor wifi and a very awkward time difference). I've started to feel like he isn't quite real any more, I'm forgetting what he looks like in real life, what he feels, smells and sounds like and I'm nervous of seeing him again in case I'm different than how he remembers, or we'll have been apart so long the spark has gone. Because of something that happened, I'm quite insecure, and that's my problem to deal with, but I just wanted to know if anyone else gets like this when they're apart from their partner for a long time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys
    Me and my boyfriend are going to have been apart for a few months by the time we can see each other again. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, we have romantic plans all made to look forwards to, but I feel weird. It's been a long time already and we try to Skype when we can (it's difficult because he's spending a lot of time in a country with very poor wifi and a very awkward time difference). I've started to feel like he isn't quite real any more, I'm forgetting what he looks like in real life, what he feels, smells and sounds like and I'm nervous of seeing him again in case I'm different than how he remembers, or we'll have been apart so long the spark has gone. Because of something that happened, I'm quite insecure, and that's my problem to deal with, but I just wanted to know if anyone else gets like this when they're apart from their partner for a long time?
    Barely anyone will reply here because they as clueless as dogs when it comes to LDR, but I'm in one.
    We dated for almost 5 months and only met once, September due to money issues to see me for a few days, June to September thats 3 months... you just got to be strong and do whatever it takes if you love them and their the one for you.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a long-distance relationship now for almost a year and I'm happy to say, that in a few weeks, our relationship will no longer have the burden of being long distance!

So i guess that makes me reasonably qualified to answer your question. And firstly, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal under the circumstances. Relationships require a certain amount of physical contact in order to work properly, thats just part of being human beings.

Without the physical aspect, there are many insecurities that could potentially present themselves, particually if you have a predisposition to them. But that is why communication is so paramount in long-distance relationships. If you are having these feelings, then it would probably be best that you discuss them with your boyfriend.

Ive had many insecurities in my LDR, but i found that talking to my partner about them always helped. She would go out of her way to let me know that my insecurities were completely unjustified and actually, in the process, we became even closer. So that when I did get to see her again (every few months) our relationship was better and stronger than ever before.

There is a common saying: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and in my experience, this statement is absolutely true. When i saw my girlfriend again after all that time, I fell in love with her even harder than before!

So, my advice? Use the the distance as a means to strengthen your relationship. Learn to communicate, let your partner know exactly how you feel (i know that can be a logistical nightmare). There is a high chance that hes feeling exactly the same way aswell! Also, this is a good opportunity to learn how to trust your partner. Long distance relationships put strain on trust more than almost anyhing, but again, it will only make you stronger !

And above all else, remeber that the distance is only temporary. He will be back in your arms very soon, and when he does return, your emotions will come rushing back to you and youll remember why you fell in love with him (assuming you are infact in love) and your relationship will be 10x stronger and you would have created a very solid foundation which will help immensely in the future of your relationship!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.