The Student Room Group

The Scottish Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AndrewSCO
I wouldn't bet on it! Griffiths hasn't really had a run in the national team yet, see how he does on his current form. Naismith is still probably our best player, Rhodes continues to be overlooked as well.

Allan and Christie are both rotting on Celtic's bench most of the time.

Hopefully get to see Barrie McKay make a few appearances. I'm sure as Rangers continue to establish themselves in the top flight and he plays well he'll get his shot. He's in the squad for the next game.

Ronnie killed the Celtic team imo by bringing in too many non-British players. As an Englishman I just like to see British players playing, whether it's in Scotland or England. Like I'm pleased that Roberts, Rossiter, etc are getting great experience and game time whilst they'd otherwise be rotting on PL benches.

I read somewhere that a celtic fan said the most enjoyable half of football they saw last season was when Christie, Roberts and Allan were all on the pitch together! I mean Ronnie should have just let the kids play, especially in dead-rubber matches.

I loved McKay's goal in the cup final last year btw, looks a good player. Going back to my original point, there is no reason why players like Bitton, Johansen, Janko should be playing when there is British talent that could be playing instead.
Reply 41
Original post by richpanda
Ronnie killed the Celtic team imo by bringing in too many non-British players. As an Englishman I just like to see British players playing, whether it's in Scotland or England. Like I'm pleased that Roberts, Rossiter, etc are getting great experience and game time whilst they'd otherwise be rotting on PL benches.

I read somewhere that a celtic fan said the most enjoyable half of football they saw last season was when Christie, Roberts and Allan were all on the pitch together! I mean Ronnie should have just let the kids play, especially in dead-rubber matches.

I loved McKay's goal in the cup final last year btw, looks a good player. Going back to my original point, there is no reason why players like Bitton, Johansen, Janko should be playing when there is British talent that could be playing instead.

I know Christie played and scored at the weekend but still not sure how much time Rodgers will give them either. Maybe will get a bit more.

Rossiter looks a great player, picked him up for peanuts too. Our whole team is almost English haha. Foderingham, Tavernier, Kiernan, Hill, Barton, Rossiter, Crooks, Windass, Waghorn, Garner, Forrester, Dodoo (debatable)

McKay's general play is fantastic, just needs to add goals to his game and he'll be away for megabucks imo. But his vision, passing, dribbling and control are superb.
I know Christie played and scored at the weekend but still not sure how much time Rodgers will give them either. Maybe will get a bit more.

Rossiter looks a great player, picked him up for peanuts too. Our whole team is almost English haha. Foderingham, Tavernier, Kiernan, Hill, Barton, Rossiter, Crooks, Windass, Waghorn, Garner, Forrester, Dodoo (debatable)

McKay's general play is fantastic, just needs to add goals to his game and he'll be away for megabucks imo. But his vision, passing, dribbling and control are superb.

Players are English because the manager is english. If you look at the teams in the prem, the ones with English managers generally recruit and play more English players.
Reply 43
Players are English because the manager is english. If you look at the teams in the prem, the ones with English managers generally recruit and play more English players.

Yup and our head scout is english too and worked at Liverpool and Burnley which helped secure Rossiter and Barton respectively.

It's just the market they know better which is fair enough. You may prefer having British players in the team but that's becoming a gripe for Rangers fans. Warburton keeps complaining about how the English market is inflated and not many available players yet we've done nothing to look further afield. You can get great players a lot cheaper elsewhere. We're struggling to sign a centre back and it's because we're only looking in League 1 or the Championship then complaining there's nobody available. Pretty annoying.
Yup and our head scout is english too and worked at Liverpool and Burnley which helped secure Rossiter and Barton respectively.

It's just the market they know better which is fair enough. You may prefer having British players in the team but that's becoming a gripe for Rangers fans. Warburton keeps complaining about how the English market is inflated and not many available players yet we've done nothing to look further afield. You can get great players a lot cheaper elsewhere. We're struggling to sign a centre back and it's because we're only looking in League 1 or the Championship then complaining there's nobody available. Pretty annoying.

I wasn't aware Ranges were still hunting for players. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Barton vs Brown
Reply 45
I wasn't aware Ranges were still hunting for players. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Barton vs Brown

Just a CB, will probably be Senderos
Reply 46
Scottish players do get a chance to play and establish themselves at Celtic imo. Kieran Tierney has been outstanding since he came into the team last season. James Forrest has been much improved this season and rewarded with a new contract. Calum Mcgregor has played a lot this season aswell (although Rogic should always be starting ahead of him). Griffiths is the best Scottish striker around at the moment.

Senderos would be a good signing for sevco. Similair to us signing Toure ie. a player who played at his peak in England a few years ago but still has something to offer to the team. Kolo Toure was easily our best player last night.

1st vs 2nd meet on Saturday as Aberdeen visit the Champions. Can't see anything other than a Celtic win; the players should be on a high after qualifying for the Champions League albeit putting in a shocking performance in Israel. Seen as the draw is on Thursday there should be a great atmosphere around the place.
Reply 47
Original post by M67
Scottish players do get a chance to play and establish themselves at Celtic imo. Kieran Tierney has been outstanding since he came into the team last season. James Forrest has been much improved this season and rewarded with a new contract. Calum Mcgregor has played a lot this season aswell (although Rogic should always be starting ahead of him). Griffiths is the best Scottish striker around at the moment.

Senderos would be a good signing for sevco. Similair to us signing Toure ie. a player who played at his peak in England a few years ago but still has something to offer to the team. Kolo Toure was easily our best player last night.

1st vs 2nd meet on Saturday as Aberdeen visit the Champions. Can't see anything other than a Celtic win; the players should be on a high after qualifying for the Champions League albeit putting in a shocking performance in Israel. Seen as the draw is on Thursday there should be a great atmosphere around the place.

Yup you're right, my comments were only for Allan and to a lesser extent Christie. Plenty other players though.

And leave the sevco, zombie, hun stuff out of it will you. Just going to ruin the thread, don't see me throwing any names around.
Reply 48
Yup you're right, my comments were only for Allan and to a lesser extent Christie. Plenty other players though.

And leave the sevco, zombie, hun stuff out of it will you. Just going to ruin the thread, don't see me throwing any names around.

Feel a bit sorry for Allan. I genuinely think he's better than Mcgregor but hasn't been given the chance. A loan move was probably best for him. Hopefully Christie will get a decent amount of game time this season.

Wouldn't bother me if you did but fair enough, I'll leave it out.
Reply 49
Rangers have ****ed it already. Dropped more points at Kilmarnock tonight. Celtic can go 4 clear already with their 2 games in hand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
had to be boyd as well :wink:
Reply 51
Was nervous going into the Aberdeen game seen as we had a long trip to and from Israel in midweek and a tough game against Hapoel, so very happy we got a win. Thought 4-1 flattered us a bit as we didn't play that great. We were pretty vulnerable in all honesty but Aberdeen offered nothing all game, even after they made it 1-1.

Hearts grabbed another win, 2-1 away to Partick. Rangers struggled again against Kilmarnock who were good value for a point. Barton hasn't had the impact many Rangers fans thought he would have, although it's still relatively early doors.
Reply 52
Barton has had one great game and that was against Burnley in the friendly. Old Firm game is a must win for Rangers and I'm not counting on it. Warburton is losing a lot of faith already. Stubborness over 4-3-3, team selections and tactics just not getting it done. All our games have been poor, dropped points in 2 and needed a last minute winner in one. We've improved our squad massively but team seems to have went backwards since last season
Reply 53
Rangers have signed Phillipe Senderos on a 1 year deal

Celtic signed Gamboa from West Brom yesterday/day before as well
Rangers have signed Phillipe Senderos on a 1 year deal

Celtic signed Gamboa from West Brom yesterday/day before as well

and how is one feeling about that?
Hearts' team is not looking too great :frown:Everton seem to be getting a grip on Sissoko tho and thank goodness, it looks like McCarthy may be staying after all - hurrah :smile: :party:
Reply 55
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
and how is one feeling about that?
Hearts' team is not looking too great :frown:Everton seem to be getting a grip on Sissoko tho and thank goodness, it looks like McCarthy may be staying after all - hurrah :smile: :party:

Hmm Senderos been at huge clubs but never been a starter at them. Bit of a last ditch option, will have to wait and see.

I just got home so need to catch up on it all, shall look through after dinner. Lol I saw it was like £30m for Sissoko? LOL. Basically cause he had one good game at the Euros where he skinned a couple of players.
Hmm Senderos been at huge clubs but never been a starter at them. Bit of a last ditch option, will have to wait and see.

I just got home so need to catch up on it all, shall look through after dinner. Lol I saw it was like £30m for Sissoko? LOL. Basically cause he had one good game at the Euros where he skinned a couple of players.

hmm yeah, I get u
:tongue: catch up :smile:yeah haha! Exactly :rofl: i doubt everton will secure him though but if they do, i hope he is worth the money haha
Reply 57
The Old Firm game kicks off at 12pm today.

Come and watch the first half hour if you were planning on watching the Manchester derby :smile:
Reply 58
De Vries
Lustig Toure Sviatechenko Tierney
Brown Bitton
Forrest Rogic Sinclair
Dembele

McKay Garner Miller
Kranjcar Barton Windass
Wallace Kiernan Senderos Tavernier
Foderingham
Reply 59
The Old Firm game kicks off at 12pm today.

Come and watch the first half hour if you were planning on watching the Manchester derby :smile:

Predictions? Going for a 3-0 Celtic win. Simple fact is we are just better than you. We have so much pace going forward, and especially against your defense Griffiths should get a lot of chances (hoping he starts). Can't see anything past us winning. Waghorn back is a massive boost for you but I don't think he'll have that many chances anyway. Looking forward to the duel between Brown and Barton.

Quick Reply

Latest