Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

is anyone starting computing & it and design in october?

I'm not sure whether to go full time or part time.

I currently work part time and I have a 2 years old, who starts nursery early 2017.

I think I can do it, but I am not sure what the workload would be like?

If possible, can someone shine me some light please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YayaBlu)
    Hey!

is anyone starting computing & it and design in october?

I'm not sure whether to go full time or part time.

I currently work part time and I have a 2 years old, who starts nursery early 2017.

I think I can do it, but I am not sure what the workload would be like?

If possible, can someone shine me some light please?
    Erm I don't currently do your degree however I do do an IT/ICT degree currently going into my second year of studies but it is not through open university. I suppose it will be tough but I am sure you will manage. I am unsure how the work load is on the open university.

If I can help you in anyway just send me a private message

ReputationRep:
    Im on my second year of this course and you will struggle with it part time because you have double the work load. If you think you can do the dedication then go ahead, aside from that its really good and im learning loads

ReputationRep:
    I was on the phone with OU yesterday regarding the course I want to start in October and they said they tend not to suggest anyone do full time for any course to begin with, but that you can switch from PT to FT at the start of year 2 if you think you can handle it. So I'm gonna start my BSc PT and then see how yr1 goes and maybe switch to FT after the first year.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very difficult question for anybody to answer with any authority, because nobody has taken the classes which you will be taking. Your group will be the first group of students to take TM111 and TM112 as your entry modules, so nobody knows how easy or difficult they'll be.

Conventional wisdom is that two 30 credit modules are more time consuming than one 60 credit module. TM111 and TM112 will apparently be staggered, at least this academic year, with TM111 starting in October and TM112 starting in April. As your second subject Stage 1 module needs a full 60 credits, you'd only be at 90 credits until April, so that's worth considering.

I'm on TU100 right now, the old (60 credit) entry module for Computing & IT, and I have two young sons (one at primary and one at nursery). I'm already very comfortable with the majority of topics covered in the module. Time wise, I feel I could possibly manage doubling my study intensity, but it would require a lot of juggling, and something would end up getting neglected. (Since I refuse to let it be my family, it would be either work or university, as the social life is already on the back burner.) The other side to the argument is that it doesn't really make any difference how poorly you do on your Stage 1 modules, so long as you pass.

One other persistent rumour is that the first run of a new module at the OU can be filled with confusion and frustration. It's probably worth factoring into your decision if cummulative stress levels are at issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.