Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm due to start an MA in Europe this year and I'm pretty worried...It took me a year/2 years to save for it, as I wasn't able to find a decent job after my finishing my BA (former poly-uni/sociology/economy/messed up a few interviews!) so I thought it would help getting an MA in International Relations from a good European university, however I'm VERY stressed as I don't want to spend all this money and be in a similar position as I'm in now...(And I really don't have enoughmoney saved, just going to try to borrow some from family when I run out by Jan!!)Is an MA IR a good degree to have? What's the chances I find a decent job? (I really don't want to live in the uk, I'd rather work in Europe/anywhere if possible).I have volunteered a lot (red cross etc.) and very briefly worked in a well knowncharity here in Liverpool but it's been a few years since my BA. I just feel a bithopeless and sacred I'll never be able to get a decent job!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small.littlefish)
    I'm due to start an MA in Europe this year and I'm pretty worried...It took me a year/2 years to save for it, as I wasn't able to find a decent job after my finishing my BA (former poly-uni/sociology/economy/messed up a few interviews!) so I thought it would help getting an MA in International Relations from a good European university, however I'm VERY stressed as I don't want to spend all this money and be in a similar position as I'm in now...(And I really don't have enoughmoney saved, just going to try to borrow some from family when I run out by Jan!!)Is an MA IR a good degree to have? What's the chances I find a decent job? (I really don't want to live in the uk, I'd rather work in Europe/anywhere if possible).I have volunteered a lot (red cross etc.) and very briefly worked in a well knowncharity here in Liverpool but it's been a few years since my BA. I just feel a bithopeless and sacred I'll never be able to get a decent job!!
    Unfortunately I don't know what the situation is in Europe, but in the UK at least a degree on its own (with the exception of health courses) doesn't equal a good job, you need the full package- strong applications, strong interview performance and of course work experience. A Masters, along with a second language competency is necessary for some international diplomacy based careers e.g. in the UN, NATO, some think tanks, but not without the rest of the package I described.

ReputationRep:
    In one word - NO. A Masters in a field such as IR is only useful if you want to go into academia, otherwise the Bachelors is more than enough for 99% of grad jobs.

It appears you are just doing a Masters as a last resort and because you aren't motivated enough to go and find a job. If you are unable to find an entry level/grad jobs then you apply for admin/retail/minimum wage jobs. If you can't find one of them then you do something voluntary to put on your CV. The Masters will be of no use to you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The degree won't do squat, but with the right plan, effort and execution you might be able to land something solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevey396)
    In one word - NO. A Masters in a field such as IR is only useful if you want to go into academia, otherwise the Bachelors is more than enough for 99% of grad jobs.

It appears you are just doing a Masters as a last resort and because you aren't motivated enough to go and find a job. If you are unable to find an entry level/grad jobs then you apply for admin/retail/minimum wage jobs. If you can't find one of them then you do something voluntary to put on your CV. The Masters will be of no use to you.
    I see what youre saying, but i really want to live abroad and nearly 80% of even entry level jobs relating to my degree requires a masters
    I just think its been a few years since graduating now and ive only been in a professional job for about 9 months, im wirking as a washer upper in a cafe now, and most people my age who works for oxfam, etc. Have masters. And i volunteered for years.

I know it wont automatically give me a great job, but like i said it gives me experience abroad which i cant get now.

Thanks for your help though.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.