Turn on thread page Beta

Women who breastfeed in the House of Commons chamber. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...r-are-exhibit/

This is frankly absurd.

Away from the "women breastfeed - get over it" argument put forward by the late Jo Cox MP, in such a professional environment it is beyond a lack of decency.

Although I wouldn't personally call it "exhibitionist" or "voyeuristic", it surely is something that should be in more private areas.

ReputationRep:
    It is simply unprofessional to be breastfeeding in the House of Commons chamber. Babies should not be allowed in there. MPs should stop being politically correct by invoking a point of order by shouting 'I spy strangers', which the Speaker must then put forward the motion: 'that strangers do now withdraw' and the babies should be expelled from the Chamber.

ReputationRep:
    I am just really 50/50 on this.

The baby needs food. Then let it be fed!!!

ReputationRep:
    It is frankly ridiculous and unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)

Many years ago, something amazing was invented called a bottle.

ReputationRep:

There are special rooms where the babies can be breastfed. There is absolutely no need for MPs to be breastfeeding in the House of Commons Chamber during a debate.

ReputationRep:

I have nothing against a baby being fed by its mother, it's natural and needed.

I am, however, firmly against feeding a baby in such a professional environment. There are hundreds of other, more private places to do it.

ReputationRep:
    It's unprofessional. Do it somewhere private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Many years ago, something amazing was invented for babies to feed from called a breast. It's usually men who complain about breastfeeding in public. Breasts are for feeding children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    The argument against that is that a baby being fed directly from the breast is better.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with this isn't the woman breast feeding - she has every right to do that and if you're uncomfortable with that then you need to get a grip.

It's the fact that someone would bring their baby into the house of commons - why?

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell are there children there in the first place? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    The argument against that is that a baby being fed directly from the breast is better.
    How exactly? You can still put breast milk in a bottle.

ReputationRep:
    Many years ago, something amazing was invented for babies to feed from called a breast. It's usually men who complain about breastfeeding in public. Breasts are for feeding children.
    To paraphrase the original article:

Would you be fine with a cashier or estate agent breastfeeding her child in front of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    How exactly? You can still put breast milk in a bottle.
    I know you can!

I'm just saying that it's apparently more natural to feed from the breast, and according to some research it has benefits for the baby a bottle can't give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    The problem with this isn't the woman breast feeding - she has every right to do that and if you're uncomfortable with that then you need to get a grip.

It's the fact that someone would bring their baby into the house of commons - why?
    My stance exactly!

It's common sense really.

ReputationRep:
    My stance exactly!

It's common sense really.
    It would be like if you went to a shop and the assistant was preparing food for his/herself behind the counter

ReputationRep:
    To paraphrase the original article:

Would you be fine with a cashier or estate agent breastfeeding her child in front of you?
    That's a little different really?

I just think a lot of men are Anti breastfeeding for the simple fact that breasts are seemed as sexual.

ReputationRep:
    I think they shouldn't do it in the chamber, go to a toilet and do it.

ReputationRep:
    That's a little different really?

I just think a lot of men are Anti breastfeeding for the simple fact that breasts are seemed as sexual.

It's still a professional setting.

I'm not anti-breastfeeding lol!

I'm anti-public display of it.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.