Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh I need some advice , I don't really know what to do . Go to study geography at Durham or law at the double diploma in french and swiss law Sorbonne-Fribourg which seems great but difficult.
    What do you guys think and what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissa)
    Oh I need some advice , I don't really know what to do . Go to study geography at Durham or law at the double diploma in french and swiss law Sorbonne-Fribourg which seems great but difficult.
    i seriously dont know how interestedd you are at geography or how interested youre at law/french :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i seriously dont know how interestedd you are at geography or how interested youre at law/french :rolleyes:
    nor do i, but if they are asking, maybe they are interested in both of them equally, or is simply not that bothered about how interesting either course is. they may just like to know about social life, prestige, career oppurtunities etc etc. all in all the post is probably just a means to open up a dialogue. :rolleyes:

i dont know much about the sorbonne but i can tell you a bit about durham which is a lovely university. has a collegeiate structure like oxbridge which some people find makes the university more intimate and friendly.

its quite highly respected as a university. in the times university rankings it came 8th. in the guardian it came 12th. so taking these two together i think its fair to say its a great university.

as a course the geography at durham is also very very good. it is rated excellent by the QAA (5*).
    It is seventh in the guardian table: http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...721805,00.html
    And it comes first (!) in the times table.

So taking these two together i think its fair to say it is a very good department.

i know little about the structure of the course but you might want to contact the department and see what type of course options are open to you etc.

some people have the impression durham is a snobby university. that is of course subjective and open to huuuuuuuge debate which i wont even get in to.

as a city durham is not exactly the centre of the universe but im sure there is enough to do for three years. however it is no paris....wow what a wonderful city to live in for three years. but then fi you dont like busy cities maybe durham would be more to your liking.

hope some other people can fill in some more gaps for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    nor do i, but if they are asking, maybe they are interested in both of them equally, or is simply not that bothered about how interesting either course is. they may just like to know about social life, prestige, career oppurtunities etc etc. all in all the post is probably just a means to open up a dialogue. :rolleyes:

i dont know much about the sorbonne but i can tell you a bit about durham which is a lovely university. has a collegeiate structure like oxbridge which some people find makes the university more intimate and friendly.

its quite highly respected as a university. in the times university rankings it came 8th. in the guardian it came 12th. so taking these two together i think its fair to say its a great university.

as a course the geography at durham is also very very good. it is rated excellent by the QAA (5*).
    It is seventh in the guardian table: http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...721805,00.html
    And it comes first (!) in the times table.

So taking these two together i think its fair to say it is a very good department.

i know little about the structure of the course but you might want to contact the department and see what type of course options are open to you etc.

some people have the impression durham is a snobby university. that is of course subjective and open to huuuuuuuge debate which i wont even get in to.

as a city durham is not exactly the centre of the universe but im sure there is enough to do for three years. however it is no paris....wow what a wonderful city to live in for three years. but then fi you dont like busy cities maybe durham would be more to your liking.

hope some other people can fill in some more gaps for you.

Thanks for your help but I'm afraid that geography might be a bit boring for 3 years and I love Paris and the law course probably has more opportunities.On the other hand I would love to live in a college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissa)
    Thanks for your help but I'm afraid that geography might be a bit boring for 3 years and I love Paris and the law course probably has more opportunities.On the other hand I would love to live in a college.
    true, paris is such an amazing city!! i thinki id choose paris any day over urham. but you are right, to live in a college is quite special i think, especially one of the colleges at durham which is housed in durham castle!!! looks all very harry potter to me

what sort of geography do you like? ive never dsone it but my friend did, at UCL and i found much of her course really interesting and not what i thought geogrpahy would be like. its very interdisciplinary now isnt it! lots of talk of space and memory etc. heavy influence of social antrhopology i think.

anyways good luck with your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Paris more enchanting than Durham? Inconceivable!

Seriously, the geographic difference would be, for me, the deal breaker. Three years in a different cultural setting would be a wonderful but potentially trying experience. How is your French (apologies if you ARE French; I didn't check your profile *sheepish grin*)? I assume the classes are all in French - would that be a problem?

How would the financial side work? Could you do a part-time job? Could you be happy without friends and family close by?

I'd figure all that out before researching the unis themselves. Based on my prejudices, I'd say Durham is a better uni: is Sorbonne-Fribourg different from the more famous Sorbonne, or an integral part of it? Do you care? FWIW, French unis, including La Sorbonne, are going through a funding crisis that makes British ones look rich. I have been told by those who have studied at them that some are literally falling to pieces, though I have no first hand knowledge of whether this is really the case.

(Original post by Nissa)
    If money, language, and subject were not a factor, I would choose Paris - Paris is the most splendid city in the world - it really puts London to shame.

ReputationRep:
    i would chose paris anyway. come on
    you can get the train to durham any day of the week if u want
    paris to study for 3 years. once in a lifetime. it would be hard yes, but it would be worthwhile and trust me, you'd regret it if you turned it down, no matter how nice durham is, paris will be more exciting.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to Paris definately. But maybe that's just me. It's a great city and the Sorbonne is a fantastic university

ReputationRep:
    But if you were to study French Law would that not mean you could not come back to practice in the UK? In the same way that Scots Law and English Law are different and thus a Law graduate from Edinburgh is not able to work in London and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    If money, language, and subject were not a factor, I would choose Paris - Paris is the most splendid city in the world - it really puts London to shame.
    the dog poo doesnt

ReputationRep:
    the dog poo doesnt

How dare you mock French hygiene in such a crude manner!

the dog poo doesnt
    That's just a myth. The Dutch, for example, have a myth that London is a smog-infested city.

The streets of Paris were very clean when I went there in May. I saw no litter at all.

ReputationRep:
    That's just a myth. The Dutch, for example, have a myth that London is a smog-infested city.

The streets of Paris were very clean when I went there in May. I saw no litter at all.
    it wasnt a myth when my shoes were covered in it.

ReputationRep:
    it wasnt a myth when my shoes were covered in it.
    That can happen anywhere I found Paris very clean and absolutely beautiful when I went two months ago too.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, according to Bill Bryson in Neither Here Nor There (although I admit it was written several years ago), Paris spends on average about £60-70 per person per year on street cleaning etc., while London spends around £20-30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    That can happen anywhere I found Paris very clean and absolutely beautiful when I went two months ago too.
    of course of course, im afriad i did not have as enjoyable experience as you. but paris is still lovely despite all its faults. luckily i will be going back in a few weeks, and then on to the paris of the east, hope it is as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Doesn't mean their streets are cleaner - it just means they might be paying their street cleaners more...I imagine the job of street cleaner is even more looked down on in France (style capital of the world) than in the UK (ummm...comedy capital of the world?)
    Hehe, good point. And knowing the French, they're probably on strike half the time anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Hehe, good point. And knowing the French, they're probably on strike half the time anyway
    ouch, harsh but mostly fair hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    Paris more enchanting than Durham? Inconceivable!

Seriously, the geographic difference would be, for me, the deal breaker. Three years in a different cultural setting would be a wonderful but potentially trying experience. How is your French (apologies if you ARE French; I didn't check your profile *sheepish grin*)? I assume the classes are all in French - would that be a problem?

How would the financial side work? Could you do a part-time job? Could you be happy without friends and family close by?

I'd figure all that out before researching the unis themselves. Based on my prejudices, I'd say Durham is a better uni: is Sorbonne-Fribourg different from the more famous Sorbonne, or an integral part of it? Do you care? FWIW, French unis, including La Sorbonne, are going through a funding crisis that makes British ones look rich. I have been told by those who have studied at them that some are literally falling to pieces, though I have no first hand knowledge of whether this is really the case.
    Actually already studying law at the university of Nice and it's pretty cool. The exact name of the uni in Paris is Paris Pantheon Assas (Paris 2) which is considered the best law school in France and shares the same buildings as Paris Pantheon Sorbonne(Paris 1)and friburg is considered to be the best in Switzerland. The problem with french unis is that many are divided in respect of the subjects they teach.For example Aix is divided into Aix1(languages,social sciences), Aix 2(medicine), Aix3(law and economics only)and when they are assessed the research of Aix 1 is the only one taken into account,same for Sorbonne which is subdivided into Paris4 Paris Sorbonne(languages and social sciences only)Paris1pantheon Sorbonne(law and economics),Paris 3 Nouvelle Sorbonne(languages)...I personnaly think that due to the introduction of higher fees in the British system they are going to lose lots of applications from Europe and be critisced for only accepting the rich. You've got to remember that in France the tuition fees are of 150 euros and open to anyone, without mentioning that most french unis you've never heard of (Grenoble, Montpellier ,Toulouse,Poitiers,Aix,Strasbour g,Avignon,Lyon...)Where founded before 1500 and the Sorbonne is the second oldest uni in the world(after Bologne) and if they finally decide to make prospectuses one day they could attract many more foreign students but they've already got enough.Here in Nice 20 per cent of the students are foreign and in Aix over 3500 are. The difference is that every little detail about unis doesn't lake the headlines and there is no official assessment although it is true some faculties are a bit deteriorating but that's the same everywhere, Iheard that the law department at KCL had some serious problems that even made the headteacher resign!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.