A level distance learning recommendations Watch

Oldie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Has anyone here obtained a Grade A or A* A-level Maths via distance learning? If so, please say which college you used? Any comments as to quality of tuition would be appreciated.
AlesanaWill
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oldie)
Has anyone here obtained a Grade A or A* A-level Maths via distance learning? If so, please say which college you used? Any comments as to quality of tuition would be appreciated.
I taught myself for AS Level (did A2 in college), mainly using textbooks as opposed to distance learning. There are many good A Level maths textbooks - such as these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(or the appropriate version for the exam board you're using). Writing notes and doing all the end of chapter questions was enough for me.

I don't recommend some companies such as ICS - they were terrible and a massive waste of money (I did initially try learning maths through them).

There is something called the Nisai virtual academy: http://www.nisai.com/ which teaches some A Levels including mathematics. I think to get funding you need to have a barrier to learning in a typical college - such as a physical disability or something like an anxiety disorder, so that may not apply to you. It was quite good - someone talks to you over the internet and you can see their screen which includes a "whiteboard" so they can do examples etc.
Bananapeeler
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally, I watched all the examsolutions videos followed by every single past paper I could find (including solomons) over the course of a few weeks. Anything you don't understand you can just look up online for free, there are literally so many resources there's no need to pay a bunch of money for a course. That said, the textbooks (such as the one linked above) are pretty great - if I'd had more time I'd definitely have picked one up earlier and worked through it over the year.
Oldie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Many thanks to both of you. Replies much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (620)
80.62%
Leave (149)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed