Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1017 – Food and Drink Packaging Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B1017 – Food and Drink Packaging Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Labour Party

Food and Drink Packaging Bill 2016
    An Act to help inform consumers of the contents of what they purchase

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: DEFINITIONS
    (1) "Packaging" is defined as anything which is used to contain food or drink for the purposes of selling,
    as well as labels on food and drink products
    (2) "Web description" is defined as the information given about the product on any site which is either selling the product
    (3) "Vegetarian" is defined as not containing meat, fish or animal products
    (4) "Vegan" is defined as not containing animal products
    (5) "ppm" is an abbreviation of 'parts per million'
    (6) "Gluten-free" is defined as containing less than 20ppm or less of gluten
    (7) "Halal" is defined as being prepared in accordance to Islamic Law
    (8) "Kosher" is defined as being prepared in accordance to Jewish Law

2: FOOD PACKAGING REGULATIONS
    (1) If the packaged food product contains meat or animal product all types of meat and animal product must be clearly labeled
    a. This includes identifying the type of gelatin if gelatin is used in the product
    (2) All food packaging must clearly label if the food product is Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free, Halal or Kosher
    (3) All packaging must feature nutritional labels on the front of the packaging
    (4) The nutritional label must show:
    a. Energy
    b. Fat
    c. Saturates
    d. Sugars
    e. Salt
    (5) The nutritional label will use the FSA traffic light rating system with
    a. #00FF00 being used for green
    b. #FFC200 being used for amber
    c. #ff0000 being used for red
    (6) 2(1), 2(1)a, 2(2), 2(3), 2(4), 2(4)a-e and 2(5) must also be cleared displayed in the web description of all food products

3: DRINK PACKAGING REGULATIONS
    (1) If the packaged drink contains meat or animal products all types of meat and animal products must be clearly labeled
    a. This includes identifying the type of gelatin if gelatin is used in the product
    b. This includes alcoholic drinks even if they do not have to list all of their ingredients
    (2) All drink packaging must clearly label if the food product is Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free, Halal or Kosher
    a. This includes alcoholic drinks even if they do not have to list all of their ingredients
    (3) All packaging must feature nutritional labels on the front of the packaging
    a. The nutritional label must show the same as on the food packaging, and will also use the green, amber, red colour coding
    (4) 3(1), 3(1)a-b, 3(2), 3(2)a, 3(3) and 3(3)a must also be cleared displayed in the drink description of all drink products

4: PUNISHMENT
    (1) Companies that do not comply with this will be fined 5% of revenue made on each product which does not comply.
    a. This applies to the producing company not the distributing company.

5: EXCEPTIONS
    (1) Businesses which make less than £10 Million in revenue per annum are exempt from this bill
    (2) Any food or drink products produced before 1st January 2017 are exempt from this bill.

6: COLOUR CODING
    Companies shall follow the traffic light rating system set up by the Food Standards Agency.

7: EXTENT, COMMENCEMENT AND SHORT TITLE
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on the 1st of January 2017.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Food and Drink Packaging Act 2016.

Notes and Changes for Second Reading:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Notes
    This bill sets out to help better inform consumers on what exactly they are consuming, by ensuring that all food and drinks are labeled if they are suitable for different dietary/life choices and different religious requirements. This bill however also helps the average consumer who should be informed as best as possible and as easily as possible on what it is they are consuming.

This isn’t about creating a ‘Nanny state’, but about ensuring consumers know what they are buying when they look at something, and so companies can’t hide behind not telling consumers if their products are suitable for different lifestyle and religious diets.

The web description part of the bill ensures this bill is able to help both in-store and online consumers, making sure the bill is suitable for the 21st Century.

The punishment is set at 5% to both be business friendly, but not too low to make avoiding this legislation something a business would be willing to pay simply not to comply. The lower 1.5% for companies which make under £10 Million is to ensure this bill does not unfairly discriminate against smaller businesses and larger ones.

ppm for those unaware such as myself when I wrote this bill means parts per million

Wikipedia article containing a table showing the FSA traffic light rating system table - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffi..._rating_system

Changes for Second Reading
    • Added "gluten free" and "ppm" to the definitions and added the former to the list of things that must be displayed on a product
    • Fixed vegetarian and vegan definitions
    • Added codes for the colours to be used for the traffic light rating system and better defined the system in all parts of the bill, including adding a section just for it
    • Added exceptions to the punishment section or goods produced before January 1st 2017
    • Made it clear the punishment affects the producer not retailer if they are not the same
    • Added to the notes
    • Formatting corrected and standardised
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Do we really need the hex numbers?

Also under 6 should it not say 'as defined' not 'set up'

ReputationRep:
    The gluten free clause is interesting, I was under the assumption that, say a Muslim person would eat no pork and it wasn't dependent on the amount? Could someone explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Do we really need the hex numbers?

Also under 6 should it not say 'as defined' not 'set up'
    It was an internal suggestion and I saw no harm in it. And I'll check 6 and edit it if needed for third reading or for the vote as it is such a small chang I thing Fez would allow it

(Original post by TitanCream)
    The gluten free clause is interesting, I was under the assumption that, say a Muslim person would eat no pork and it wasn't dependent on the amount? Could someone explain?
    A Muslim won't eat any pork, however gluten free is actually based on those who are allergic to it and that is what is accepted as gluten free and won't cause a reaction as I understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Some people suffer from coeliac disease. They need to know if a product contains gluten.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. The changes are welcome.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It was an internal suggestion and I saw no harm in it. And I'll check 6 and edit it if needed for third reading or for the vote as it is such a small chang I thing Fez would allow it
    If it's two words that change very little that will be fine, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Some people suffer from coeliac disease. They need to know if a product contains gluten.
    I got the part about less than 20ppm being gluten free from a charity called coeliac which from what I could tell was legit, and the site links to EU regulation on the matter although I must admit I struggled with the EU regulation but there was this which seemed to back up the charity from the EU regulation.
    "A. General requirements GLUTEN-FREE The statement ‘gluten-free’ may only be made where the food as sold to the final consumer contains no more than 20 mg/kg of gluten."
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Actually isn't gluten free a legal requirement under allergy laws?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Actually isn't gluten free a legal requirement under allergy laws?
    I thought it was, but I didn't see anything about it, and Jammy mentioned it so I thought to err on the safe side I would include it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Vegan definition is wrong.

Other than that I'm happy to support this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thehistorybore)

Glad to hear it. How do you think we should define it for 3rd Reading/Division?

ReputationRep:

Would this work better?

(4) "Vegan" is defined as not containing animal products or having been produced with the aid of animal products.

This would be closer to the wording of current EU regulation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Glad to hear it. How do you think we should define it for 3rd Reading/Division?
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Would this work better?

(4) "Vegan" is defined as not containing animal products or having been produced with the aid of animal products.

This would be closer to the wording of current EU regulation.
    As above
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As above
    :yy:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.