Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am starting the nursing course at UWS in September and am looking for advise on purchasing a laptop. What will I be predominantly using it for? They range in price vastly from £200 to over £1000!! Help!

ReputationRep:
    I just bought an hp13 stream, it's light and well designed, not much memory but you can use a micro SD card, it's about 199 or less if you find an offer.... often discounted on Tesco online

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aislingh123)
    Hi I am starting the nursing course at UWS in September and am looking for advise on purchasing a laptop. What will I be predominantly using it for? They range in price vastly from £200 to over £1000!! Help!
    Which campus are you going to?

I have a decent laptop at home, so I have just bought a wee Chromebook for lugging back and forth. It is so light I won't even know it is in my bag. It was only £99 and so far I am really pleased with it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by aislingh123)
    Your best bet is to go into PC World or somewhere similar, and ask one of the staff for help. According to what you need it for, they can suggest the sort of specifications you will need and will show you your best options based on your budget. Obviously there is nothing to stop you looking to see if you can get a better deal online or seeing if they will price match.*Make sure you get a good quality case as you'll likely be taking it to and from uni.*

You shouldn't be spending more than £400-£500 for one that meets your needs, and plenty of people are happy enough with £200 laptops. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, for example my laptop was expensive because I run The Sims and Photoshop, and have about 30 internet tabs open at any one time, plus word processing, iTunes etc.. Unless you have any particular gaming interests, you'll be using it predominantly for word processing but will need a laptop that can handle lots of internet tabs being open as you'll be looking for articles.*

ReputationRep:
    I was oriented toward a chromebook at first but the thing is you can do very little without internet connected at all times, that's why I opted for an hp 13 stream

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.