Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can i down grade from windows 10 to windows 8.1 Watch

I currently have windows 8.1 and quite like it, however, today I recceived a pop up message stating that the upgrade to windows 10 will only be available until the 29th July so I am just wondering, if I do upgrade from windows 10 but do not like it, will I be able to down grade to windows 8.1 and will there be any complications for me upgrading to windows 10 or down grading to windows 8.1. Also my computer is low on memeroy so will that prevent me from upgrading to windows 10.
    I hope I make sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I currently have windows 8.1 and quite like it, however, today I recceived a pop up message stating that the upgrade to windows 10 will only be available until the 29th July so I am just wondering, if I do upgrade from windows 10 but do not like it, will I be able to down grade to windows 8.1 and will there be any complications for me upgrading to windows 10 or down grading to windows 8.1. Also my computer is low on memeroy so will that prevent me from upgrading to windows 10.
    I hope I make sense
    Yes you can but it's easier if you downgrade withing a month of upgrade. To do this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.You can do it after a month aswell but am not too sure how. A google search will tell you everything

ReputationRep:
    Yes it can be if you want to.In update section there are option "Go back to Windows 8.1". Click on that icon will uninstall windows 10 and your are moved to 8.1.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Providing you don't mess with the system files the OS maintains a copy of the pre update system in case you want to rollback. By default you have about a month to do the rollback but Windows doesn't actually get rid of the files after this time. They just sit there, invisibly taking up space. Rolling back is not at all difficult.

Honestly speaking it makes sense to do the upgrade. Windows 10 will be the most supported platform from now on. Using it and getting used to it is a good idea. The update is currently free but after that you'll need to buy a licence to upgrade. Better to do the upgrade now for free, providing your computer supports it of course.

When you say low on memory what do you mean? Do you mean RAM? Or do you mean storage? Windows will tell you if you can't do the upgrade although as usual having better specs than minimum is ideal. If you're running Windows 8.1 without hassle then Windows 10 will be fine. Although if you're lacking storage you may run into issues such as Windows not being able to store your rollback files. Pretty sure that's not how the update works though as you're required to have the space prior to starting the update.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.