Turn on thread page Beta
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If I were to do 4 A-levels including Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry, approximately how much would it cost to purchase course texts for the duration of 2 years? If schools sell you the books, will it be at a discount? and by how much?

ReputationRep:
    Some schools will loan you textbooks for the year, like mine did.

ReputationRep:
    or www.amazon.co.uk have quite a good second hand textbook scheme where you can buy second hand books for sometimes as little as £2. A textbook normall costs between £10-£15, you will probably need two for each science (one for AS one for A2) and possibly more than 6 in maths, depending on how your teacher chooses, but normally a maths textbook covers one or two modules.

ReputationRep:
    I have one textbook per module in Maths but they are only £5-10 me thinks, but I suppose that would build up if you do further maths.

ReputationRep:
    All my textbooks were provided for maths, phys, chem and biology the only ones i bought were sum extra ones for maths where they were bout £10 each, but i think thats fairly cheap

ReputationRep:
    A lot of schools will lend you the books that you need, at mine we had to pay a £20 deposit at the beginning of the year and then return all our books at the end.

Also check out your local library most have a good collection of a-level textbooks/ revision books as well as seperate books covering some of the topics that you will be studying.

The only books I bought during my first year were 2 chemistry revision books, and that was because I was failing badly- but be warned they can be quite expensive, each book was £10.

And before I forget second hand book stores/ charity shop are also worth a try, as former students often donate their books once they've completed their A-levels.

(Original post by Pegasus)
    And before I forget second hand book stores/ charity shop are also worth a try, as former students often donate their books once they've completed their A-levels.
    yes a lot of second hand bookshops sell the more common textbooks..
    one shop i go to has a huge section of text books because it is down the road from a university..

ReputationRep:
    i had to buy 3 textbooks each for bio and chem over two years, costing between £9-16 each. for geography and music the school loaned the books free of charge, and for general studies you could pay a deposit if £10 or buy the book form the school for £8. it did really feel like it was adding up at the time but i have just sold all of mine to year 12 at school and got £45 including the deposit, so it's quite a good little money spinner!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.