Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cost of A-level books watch

Announcements
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If I were to do 4 A-levels including Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry, approximately how much would it cost to purchase course texts for the duration of 2 years? If schools sell you the books, will it be at a discount? and by how much?

ReputationRep:
    Some schools will loan you textbooks for the year, like mine did.

ReputationRep:
    or www.amazon.co.uk have quite a good second hand textbook scheme where you can buy second hand books for sometimes as little as £2. A textbook normall costs between £10-£15, you will probably need two for each science (one for AS one for A2) and possibly more than 6 in maths, depending on how your teacher chooses, but normally a maths textbook covers one or two modules.

ReputationRep:
    I have one textbook per module in Maths but they are only £5-10 me thinks, but I suppose that would build up if you do further maths.

ReputationRep:
    All my textbooks were provided for maths, phys, chem and biology the only ones i bought were sum extra ones for maths where they were bout £10 each, but i think thats fairly cheap

ReputationRep:
    A lot of schools will lend you the books that you need, at mine we had to pay a £20 deposit at the beginning of the year and then return all our books at the end.

Also check out your local library most have a good collection of a-level textbooks/ revision books as well as seperate books covering some of the topics that you will be studying.

The only books I bought during my first year were 2 chemistry revision books, and that was because I was failing badly- but be warned they can be quite expensive, each book was £10.

And before I forget second hand book stores/ charity shop are also worth a try, as former students often donate their books once they've completed their A-levels.

(Original post by Pegasus)
    And before I forget second hand book stores/ charity shop are also worth a try, as former students often donate their books once they've completed their A-levels.
    yes a lot of second hand bookshops sell the more common textbooks..
    one shop i go to has a huge section of text books because it is down the road from a university..

ReputationRep:
    i had to buy 3 textbooks each for bio and chem over two years, costing between £9-16 each. for geography and music the school loaned the books free of charge, and for general studies you could pay a deposit if £10 or buy the book form the school for £8. it did really feel like it was adding up at the time but i have just sold all of mine to year 12 at school and got £45 including the deposit, so it's quite a good little money spinner!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.