Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a job interview in London next week and I suspect that I will be asked this question "When can you start work?"

How should I appropriately answer this question?

I don't live in London and it would take me 2 hours to*travel ti London via train.

Thanks.*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What's your plan in terms of commute, accommodation etc. for this job? If you're in a current job, what's your notice period?

Whatever that is, estimate how long it will take you and then that will be your answer. Typically for most it's between: immediate - 4 weeks.

This isn't some trick question... they want to know when you can start working so that they can arrange the appropriate preparations in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    I've got a job interview in London next week and I suspect that I will be asked this question "When can you start work?"

I don't live in London and it would take me 2 hours to*travel ti London via train.

Thanks.*
    Your length of commute is irrelevant- they aren't asking for the time you can start, rather in how many weeks- so if you have notice period to serve in your current job or a holiday booked in the immediate post interview period you can say you'll be free in x weeks when they are finished. If you don't have any existing commitments you can say you'll be free to start straightaway.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, that question usually means a date, not time of the day. If you currently have a job they usually require a notice period that you are leaving which usually is between 1 week and a month. So when a potential employer asks you when you can start, they expect an answer like 'immediately' or 'in two weeks' etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)

Thanks.*
    Already been mentioned that it's not what time, it's what day your first day can be.

I would add that unless you're planning to move to London, 2 hours is a bit too much for travelling and will eat into your pay. Then again, renting in London would take more of a chunk out, which you can minimise by sharing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.