Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I need advice/ confidence boost

Hi TSR fam!!!!1

Just been told by an agent that I have an audition on Monday.
    I can't really go into details about it, but it's being directed by an Oscar winning director!!!
    It'll be my first ever audition and I'm literally so scared and nervous.
    I have two days to prepare myself and atm my confidence is at a low- has been since I left school a couple of weeks ago. I need to be set on a winning mind sight, so I figured the nice people on here could help me out.
    One more thing, I'm up against like 20 people for this role, so the odds for me are very low, but anything can happen right?

bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi TSR fam!!!!1

Just been told by an agent that I have an audition on Monday.
    I can't really go into details about it, but it's being directed by an Oscar winning director!!!
    It'll be my first ever audition and I'm literally so scared and nervous.
    I have two days to prepare myself and atm my confidence is at a low- has been since I left school a couple of weeks ago. I need to be set on a winning mind sight, so I figured the nice people on here could help me out.
    One more thing, I'm up against like 20 people for this role, so the odds for me are very low, but anything can happen right?
    Woohoo! Well Done!

One of my drama teachers (idk if you are talking about acting but this will help anyway) couldn't work with me because my emotions was getting in the way of our lesson. Anyway she made me meditate, and I can say this has helped me so much in performance and in general life I would recommend "take a break" the app icon has a pink background with a black drawing like women on (bit like pop art)

Another way to get rid of tension before audition is to relax your body from the feet up so when you get to your head you are bent over like a rag doll.
    And also shaking like a lonie helps with tension, it looks weird but oh well

And remember vocal warmups before your audition, perhaps a tongue twister from the range of one up to ten.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For confidence, if you just stretch out, trying to make yourself as big as possible before the audition, then you feel more confident, and other people can tell as well :yep:

(Original post by Pix2015)
    Woohoo! Well Done!

One of my drama teachers (idk if you are talking about acting but this will help anyway) couldn't work with me because my emotions was getting in the way of our lesson. Anyway she made me meditate, and I can say this has helped me so much in performance and in general life I would recommend "take a break" the app icon has a pink background with a black drawing like women on (bit like pop art)

Another way to get rid of tension before audition is to relax your body from the feet up so when you get to your head you are bent over like a rag doll.
    And also shaking like a lonie helps with tension, it looks weird but oh well

And remember vocal warmups before your audition, perhaps a tongue twister from the range of one up to ten.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks a lot for the advice!!! I've been told that vocal warm-ups are crucial, so I'll be doing a lot of that before the audition.I'm also kind of concerned with my weight atm. I'm not fat, but not the 'ideal' for the industry, although I'm not too sure about the role. My agent said the casting lady wanted to put me forward- so I guess having seen a face pic of mine- they thought I could be a right match?I want to figure out a way I could lose 10 pounds in 2 days haha

(Original post by Gogregg)
    For confidence, if you just stretch out, trying to make yourself as big as possible before the audition, then you feel more confident, and other people can tell as well :yep:
    Will do!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot for the advice!!! I've been told that vocal warm-ups are crucial, so I'll be doing a lot of that before the audition.I'm also kind of concerned with my weight atm. I'm not fat, but not the 'ideal' for the industry, although I'm not too sure about the role. My agent said the casting lady wanted to put me forward- so I guess having seen a face pic of mine- they thought I could be a right match?I want to figure out a way I could lose 10 pounds in 2 days haha
    I didn't even realise the industry had 'ideal' size. Do you think this is affecting your confidence? I know the industry has particular 'looks', and if they seen you pic and liked it, then you definitely got something there!

I can't really help you on the weight loss and 10 pounds in two days is very unlikely. All I can really say is exercise more and eat less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't even realise the industry had 'ideal' size. Do you think this is affecting your confidence? I know the industry has particular 'looks', and if they seen you pic and liked it, then you definitely got something there!

I can't really help you on the weight loss and 10 pounds in two days is very unlikely. All I can really say is exercise more and eat less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they have the 'ideal' for everything lol
    imagine being rejected for a role because you didn't have dimples? or even being a shade dark. They take every physical feature into account.
    I've only eaten 1 Sandwich today and a cup of water, and I'll keep it up till Mon. Hopefully my body will look much less bloated than it does, considering I've been indulging in junk and ice cream for the past week.
    *fingers crossed it works

[QUOTE=Pix2015;66559000]

I'll be heading to sleep now.
    Thanks for the advice and making feel much more calm!!!
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    they have the 'ideal' for everything lol
    imagine being rejected for a role because you didn't have dimples? or even being a shade dark. They take every physical feature into account.
    I've only eaten 1 Sandwich today and a cup of water, and I'll keep it up till Mon. Hopefully my body will look much less bloated than it does, considering I've been indulging in junk and ice cream for the past week.
    *fingers crossed it works
    Oh yeah, lol
    That would be super annoying, but then some things they can solve, like skin colour you could get a tan, and hair colour, if you are willing to dye your hair. Do you know the characters name, and do you think you could pull that off, l mean if I wanted someone to play Amy and they didn't look like an Amy I wouldn't want to cast them. So just think how you present yourself. But dont worry! Because as you said they seen pictures so they obviously like you already!

And 20 people isn't too bad think about the recent star wars movie, thousands of people audition for that. I would have if I was old enough at the time

Also do you mind me asking how you got your agent? Was it though drama school or something? Or maybe by yourself and sent a showreel in?

Maybe it will help, but I feel like I can't say it's not the right way to do it, because that would be rich coming from me considering I don't eat much. Maybe Google things on how to become less bloated? Hopefully that would help.

Oh and I would recommend drinking more water. Then one cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, lol
    That would be super annoying, but then some things they can solve, like skin colour you could get a tan, and hair colour, if you are willing to dye your hair. Do you know the characters name, and do you think you could pull that off, l mean if I wanted someone to play Amy and they didn't look like an Amy I wouldn't want to cast them. So just think how you present yourself. But dont worry! Because as you said they seen pictures so they obviously like you already!

And 20 people isn't too bad think about the recent star wars movie, thousands of people audition for that. I would have if I was old enough at the time

Also do you mind me asking how you got your agent? Was it though drama school or something? Or maybe by yourself and sent a showreel in?

Maybe it will help, but I feel like I can't say it's not the right way to do it, because that would be rich coming from me considering I don't eat much. Maybe Google things on how to become less bloated? Hopefully that would help.

Oh and I would recommend drinking more water. Then one cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't actually have an agent, but the one I'm talking about works in the casting department itself.
    Thanks for the later tip too . It is totally unhealthy to do so, and sorry if I triggered anything when I posted that. It was stupid of me to post.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually have an agent, but the one I'm talking about works in the casting department itself.
    Thanks for the later tip too . It is totally unhealthy to do so, and sorry if I triggered anything when I posted that. It was stupid of me to post.
    Oh that's OK. Can I ask what year your in/ how old.

I'm thinking if going to drama school next year or possibly taking a gap year then going, the only thing that worrys me is the cost

Oh no you didn't trigger anything, I was just saying I shouldn't really comment on your diet choice when I don't eat that much myself. My parents constantly shout at me, and I'm like "I'm not hungry" I just think I have a small stomach but don't worry!

Anyway good luck. I remember being nervous about a drama exam and the examiner was like 'this is supposed to be fun! You look as if the world is going to end":p:$

They will know your going to be nervous so don't worry. And good luck again

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking if going to drama school next year or possibly taking a gap year then going, the only thing that worrys me is the cost

Oh no you didn't trigger anything, I was just saying I shouldn't really comment on your diet choice when I don't eat that much myself. My parents constantly shout at me, and I'm like "I'm not hungry" I just think I have a small stomach but don't worry!

Anyway good luck. I remember being nervous about a drama exam and the examiner was like 'this is supposed to be fun! You look as if the world is going to end":p:$

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot Pix!

I did my audition in the morning.
    I had to travel down to central and it took me seriously 30 minutes to find the building- little did I know that I was coming back and forth around the building like 10X lol.
    It was in a private residential which looked like a garage and I couldn't tell, until I spotted someone who was trying to enter the building- and I asked them whether they were there to audition. I was lucky to have made it 1 minute before my dedicated time, as well as the fact that two other people were late which meant I was scheduled back and had to wait another 30 minutes (had time to prepare my lines!)
    After the casting director finished with the candidates, I was called in.
    We said hi to each other, and she went onto tell me that she got the project around the time time she had got me (contact)
    I went onto say that 'it looks like a really interesting project' all the while smiling.
    I read a tip somewhere that casting agents just want you to be yourself, so I didn't really talk to much while she was getting the script and camera prepared and stuff.
    I was then told to sit down, and she went through the script outline/ a little more info about the character and so on.
    I went through the script with her twice- while she was recording at the same time.
    I messed up my first time.
    Completely forgot the first line and I was not clear as well
    At the same time, the casting d kind of messed up her lines and the whole thing was a mess.
    I read somewhere that cast d don't like actors to apologise so I do think I tried my best the first.
    She did apologise for messing up her lines (which makes me wonder whether I should've too???)
    She gave me a second try and I think it went really good!! I was much more confident in the later and my voice was much clearer.
    She did go onto to say 'That was really good' , but I didn't really want my ego to inflate so I kept my composure, I did say 'thank you' and smiled ( as I was doing throughout).
    After that we finished the script and tape, and she proceeded me to the door.
    She that 'It was really good seeing you, well done' I replied 'it was really good seeing you too, thank you, have a good day' and I left the room.

I've been overthinking the compliment she gave me- I'm not sure whether she did so just for sympathy as my first try didn't go well, or whether she actually meant it!
    I know that you should never take compliments too seriously as it means nothing, but coming from someone who helped direct big movies like The Kings Speech I'm not sure what to think.
    Throughout I went with the mind sight to be simple, be myself and to just try my best which I really did do, so fingers crossed they get back to me with a callback!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm 18, how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Pix!

I did my audition in the morning.
    I had to travel down to central and it took me seriously 30 minutes to find the building- little did I know that I was coming back and forth around the building like 10X lol.
    It was in a private residential which looked like a garage and I couldn't tell, until I spotted someone who was trying to enter the building- and I asked them whether they were there to audition. I was lucky to have made it 1 minute before my dedicated time, as well as the fact that two other people were late which meant I was scheduled back and had to wait another 30 minutes (had time to prepare my lines!)
    After the casting director finished with the candidates, I was called in.
    We said hi to each other, and she went onto tell me that she got the project around the time time she had got me (contact)
    I went onto say that 'it looks like a really interesting project' all the while smiling.
    I read a tip somewhere that casting agents just want you to be yourself, so I didn't really talk to much while she was getting the script and camera prepared and stuff.
    I was then told to sit down, and she went through the script outline/ a little more info about the character and so on.
    I went through the script with her twice- while she was recording at the same time.
    I messed up my first time.
    Completely forgot the first line and I was not clear as well
    At the same time, the casting d kind of messed up her lines and the whole thing was a mess.
    I read somewhere that cast d don't like actors to apologise so I do think I tried my best the first.
    She did apologise for messing up her lines (which makes me wonder whether I should've too???)
    She gave me a second try and I think it went really good!! I was much more confident in the later and my voice was much clearer.
    She did go onto to say 'That was really good' , but I didn't really want my ego to inflate so I kept my composure, I did say 'thank you' and smiled ( as I was doing throughout).
    After that we finished the script and tape, and she proceeded me to the door.
    She that 'It was really good seeing you, well done' I replied 'it was really good seeing you too, thank you, have a good day' and I left the room.

I've been overthinking the compliment she gave me- I'm not sure whether she did so just for sympathy as my first try didn't go well, or whether she actually meant it!
    I know that you should never take compliments too seriously as it means nothing, but coming from someone who helped direct big movies like The Kings Speech I'm not sure what to think.
    Throughout I went with the mind sight to be simple, be myself and to just try my best which I really did do, so fingers crossed they get back to me with a callback!
    I'm 18, how old are you?
    Hi,

Sounds like you did fine, I wouldn't over think the compliment, I don't think it matters if that 'someone' directs big movies or small movies. If you are talking about London Central, then yes I feel your pain, it is so hard finding locations. You arrived 1 minute before? OMG you must have been so stressed.

For her messing up her lines, I think I agree with you, personally I wouldn't have said sorry, idk why but thinking about it, it seems to show a lack confidence. (Like if you kept saying sorry, they might think you are scared to mess up and you won't take risks)

That is a great mind set to have, do you know when they will contact you?I'm 17 starting my A2's this September, just hoping for good AS Drama result!

Hi,

Sounds like you did fine, I wouldn't over think the compliment, I don't think it matters if that 'someone' directs big movies or small movies. If you are talking about London Central, then yes I feel your pain, it is so hard finding locations. You arrived 1 minute before? OMG you must have been so stressed.

For her messing up her lines, I think I agree with you, personally I wouldn't have said sorry, idk why but thinking about it, it seems to show a lack confidence. (Like if you kept saying sorry, they might think you are scared to mess up and you won't take risks)

That is a great mind set to have, do you know when they will contact you?I'm 17 starting my A2's this September, just hoping for good AS Drama result!
    Hi Pix!
    Thought I'd tell you that I didn't get the part, and I was told two weeks ago. The other peeps are still battling for the role (may the lord have peace on their souls lol).
    I hope you got the grades you wanted!

ReputationRep:
    You came back 1 year later just to reply , awh cute

(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    You came back 1 year later just to reply , awh cute
    back to school= back to TSR

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pix!
    Thought I'd tell you that I didn't get the part, and I was told two weeks ago. The other peeps are still battling for the role (may the lord have peace on their souls lol).
    I hope you got the grades you wanted!
    Hello,

Sorry for such a late reply. Ah unlucky but never mind it all goes down to experience. Was that you first ever professional audition?

My Grades weren't too bad. I got an A in Maths and B in Drama 11 UMS from an A which is really annoying. Really hope I get the grade up this year but I need AAB to get into Uni if I am unsuccessful at Drama School Auditions.

Pix

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.