Turn on thread page Beta

How to meet up with friend of the opposite sex without it sounding like a date? watch

Announcements

Haven't met one of my uni friends in a while, we are still in contact and I was thinking we could meet up. Thing is, I don't know how to ask her without her thinking it's a date. I just want it to be casual, but I want a good opportunity to catch up with her so ideally should be dinner in a decent place. I don't want her thinking it's a date and her inviting others as well

Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Are you good enough friends with her so that it wont sound like a date?
    Let her know why you want to meet up so there is no confusion.
    Oh and let her pay for herself if you get something to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Dress up as a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haven't met one of my uni friends in a while, we are still in contact and I was thinking we could meet up. Thing is, I don't know how to ask her without her thinking it's a date. I just want it to be casual, but I want a good opportunity to catch up with her so ideally should be dinner in a decent place. I don't want her thinking it's a date and her inviting others as well

Any tips?
    That sounds like a date. Why does a catch up require dinner at a 'decent' place? Just go for coffee/lunch or cook for her or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    That sounds like a date. Why does a catch up require dinner at a 'decent' place? Just go for coffee/lunch or cook for her or something.
    I would say cooking for her is more romantic than dinner, but that is just my opinion.

ReputationRep:

Any tips?
    You could just be clear with her ,
    Or just say that you want to go out at a restaurant and if she would like to come and just give out little hints that it is not a date , for example wear casual clothing or whatever you wear is fine.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Just ask to meet up for lunch? I used to do this with a friend of mine before he moved away.

(Original post by MCPC247)
    Are you good enough friends with her so that it wont sound like a date?
    Let her know why you want to meet up so there is no confusion.
    Oh and let her pay for herself if you get something to eat.
    We were good friends when at uni. Times have changed though, we're not as close as we used to be so I'd assume that if I were to ask her for a meal and say let's catch up, it would sound like a date...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    We were good friends when at uni. Times have changed though, we're not as close as we used to be so I'd assume that if I were to ask her for a meal and say let's catch up, it would sound like a date...
    If you told me let's catch up, I'd assume it was just that - us just meeting up for a chat.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't smile in a creepy way when you ask her and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Do you fancy her?

(Original post by Zarek)
    Do you fancy her?
    No. But in uni we were close friends, talking to each other every day and hanging out together frequently

ReputationRep:
    Just ask her if she wants to meet up to catch up, simple as that

ReputationRep:
    If it becomes a date, are you rejecting it?

(Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    If it becomes a date, are you rejecting it?
    You mean if she suggests the date? Extremely unlikely that she would say that to be honest. She is quite sensitive about these things so that's why I want to make the meet up casual, but sometimes she can take things the wrong way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.