Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think you learn more revising for exams or doing coursework? watch

ReputationRep:
    Title

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a physics student and I definitely learn a lot more while doing coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Course work defo, I feel like exams are just memorisation and exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    Coursework

ReputationRep:
    I learn more revising for exams. For coursework you barely have any info to remember. But I try to know exam content in and out

ReputationRep:
    Course work you sort of grind through it and take nothing in, but with exam practise you have to learn it...

ReputationRep:
    Course work. Course work gives you a really good insight into an area of research, you can really sink your teeth into it. Whereas for exams you just memorise aload of lecture content and reading, but you don't get the same in depth understanding and knowledge I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    Exam practice with most subjects

However I remember coursework was very goos revision for gcse languages

ReputationRep:
    Definitely coursework.

Revision is always a cram for me, forcing in as much information as possible so my brain is bursting full of facts and once I use them all up its pretty much gone forever (until the next time it's brought up at least!).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Coursework, this year I was talking about this with people and it was crazy how much we learnt about the actual course from having to do coursework, and less so for exams, it's more like cramming everything then which is meh.

ReputationRep:
    Coursework because I have to have an understanding on the topic I'm writing on in order to put it into my own words. With exams there have been times I didn't understand the topic completely but had memorised all I needed to and still got a good mark.

ReputationRep:
    Coursework, even though I hate coursework.

ReputationRep:
    *new GCSE students cry in corner*
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think I would have done OK for coursework...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exams, as I would just copy and paste coursework.

ReputationRep:
    both are okay...but revision for exams.

Exams by far. Coursework is a nightmare and do much more difficult to do well in.

ReputationRep:
    Coursework

ReputationRep:
    Exams cause there's more to learn and you typically take it more seriously whereas coursework I know people at my school who did it like a few days before so I doubt they learnt much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grl9096)
    Coursework because I have to have an understanding on the topic I'm writing on in order to put it into my own words. With exams there have been times I didn't understand the topic completely but had memorised all I needed to and still got a good mark.
    The memory thing is deffo an issue. For A2 psychology this year I memorised over 20 essays which I regurgitated word for word in the exam even though I had no understanding of what I was talking about . I was just writing words down from memory and I'm gonna get marks for it, hence I'm not gonna feel that great about getting a good grade cause it was just a memory test which anyone could do well in if they prepared a few months in advance whereas coursework you've got to think for yourself a bit more

ReputationRep:
    Exams. Courseworks don't prepare you for the worst.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.