Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, when doing a sharp look for turning tight corners, are you meant to feed the steering wheel through your hands? I know this sounds really silly, but I hadn't come across tight corners until today, so when my instructor told me to 'feed the wheel', I just thought I'm probably reading into this too much, but how exactly do you do that? Which way do you feed the wheel.. right or left? Sorry for the stupidness, I have no common sense at all

you should, one hand pushes the wheel up (the opisit side to the one you are turning) the other pulls it down. your hands shouldnt cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    you should, one hand pushes the wheel up (the opisit side to the one you are turning) the other pulls it down. your hands shouldnt cross.
    I seee.. so when I was turning this corner today (was a left turning), my right hand should have pushed the wheel up a bit and left pulled down? I just seemed to do some sort of weird robot arm thing instead!

yes thats right. your hands shouldnt pass the 12 and 6 o clock position of the wheel

ReputationRep:
    It helps to start with a pull rather than a push.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisden14)
    It helps to start with a pull rather than a push.
    its does! i used to get told its like threading a needle altho did no good.... try not to think about it too much just not let ur hands cross and it does it naturally if you know what i mean

ReputationRep:
    When you start racing, this wheel shuffling crap is the first thing you have to un-learn.

it coms naturally after a while
    push pull method ftw!
    seruously thougfh so much easier than getting your arms in a tangle lol

ReputationRep:
    The push-pull method is a good indication of whether your speed is appropriate to the corner. If you find you haven't got time to do the push-pull method, you are taking the corner too quickly - it is for this reason that people end up crossing arms when cornering, because they're taking the corner too quickly.

great advice petrol ^____^ check your rep !

ReputationRep:
    There's a post on the AD forum (linked below) about this, as wisden14 said, start with a pull - slide the hand of the turn (left for left, right for right) up to the top of the wheel and pull down as far as is comfortable and feed the wheel with the other hand.
    To make it easier keep your thumbs outside of the wheel, otherwise they can get caught in the spokes and make it less smooth.
    You also need to feed it back after the turn, letting the wheel slide (as well as being bad practice - so something I never do, honest :> ) will cause you faults on the test.
    Don't mean to try and teach anyone to suck eggs but thought it might help.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    push pull steering. when going left put push the sterring wheel clockwise to the left using your right hand untill you reacher the highest point of the stearing wheel,at which point your left hand should meet the right, and the right will pull down.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor demonstrated it well by holding a pen vertical in one hand, and then passing in from one hand to the other in a circle on the same plane as the steering wheel, and whilst the hand with the pen in was doing the half circle, the other hand was coming back round the other side of the circle to meet it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.