Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Patience, Howard
    And I'm not going to be happy with one of those crappy third rate OBE things either. A full Knight "Sir Howard" or nothing.

ReputationRep:
    those who complain about them not going to teachers, nurses ect, really need not, after all members of the public can nominate people to receive and award, lets be honest how is Her Madge suppose to know about Mrs. Outhweit who helped class 4B learn their times tables.
    But seriously, if people want more "normal" people to receive recognition then it's their job to recomend people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    i think we shouldn't scrap it! its brilliant..

and yeah i know what you mean about sports people and celebs getting them, but the thing is that less famous people get them too but just that no one knows. i know a few people from the community who recieve them...for working for the community, but no way near a knighthood though
    But that's a pretty excluding policy as well "working for the community". It conjours up all kinds of unhappy images of social workers and folks that do "a lot of work for charity" getting all the glory.

Yuk! Ordinary and otherwise very boring people being promoted within the ranks of the "Good and the great" on the basis that they spend a 40 year career wiping the arses of senile old women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    those who complain about them not going to teachers, nurses ect, really need not, after all members of the public can nominate people to receive and award, lets be honest how is Her Madge suppose to know about Mrs. Outhweit who helped class 4B learn their times tables.
    But seriously, if people want more "normal" people to receive recognition then it's their job to recomend people.
    I'm not complaining about it. I don't see why a teacher or nurse is anymore deserving than anyone else. I wish we'd get away from this ridiculous idolizing of public sector workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm not complaining about it. I don't see why a teacher or nurse is anymore deserving than anyone else. I wish we'd get away from this ridiculous idolizing of public sector workers.
    it wasn't aimed at you, but i know quite a few people harp on about the wonderful work teachers do ect... and admitedly if you look at the list the majority of people have been awarded for their services to finance or some media/ culteral, which and not really things most people can relate to.
    If your interested the list is here:http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/...04_honours.pdf
    (i havn't read the whole thing so i may be wrong-it is over 90 pages!)

ReputationRep:
    But that's a pretty excluding policy as well "working for the community". It conjours up all kinds of unhappy images of social workers and folks that do "a lot of work for charity" getting all the glory.

Yuk! Ordinary and otherwise very boring people being promoted within the ranks of the "Good and the great" on the basis that they spend a 40 year career wiping the arses of senile old women.
    but isnt that just normal society?? of course everyones job is just as important, the dustman is just as important as are doctors, otherwise there'll be rubbish everywhere. :rolleyes: but we all know the "doctor" is gonna get it...

personally i dont have a problem with that, if i'm a dustman i wouldnt think i deserve it..the problem is they seem to give people that are 'just' for being famous..or been famous for a long time..

ReputationRep:
    It should really be for those who go well beyond the call of duty - giving a road sweeper a gong for keeping roads swept is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't aimed at you, but i know quite a few people harp on about the wonderful work teachers do ect... and admitedly if you look at the list the majority of people have been awarded for their services to finance or some media/ culteral, which and not really things most people can relate to.
    If your interested the list is here:http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/...04_honours.pdf
    (i havn't read the whole thing so i may be wrong-it is over 90 pages!)
    I don't thinbk teachers generally go beyond the call of duty. They go to work for which they are paid (just like everybody else). Quid pro quo. I don't see why additional rewards should be required for doing a job for which you are paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    well i personally think there should be two grades, they can be called:

HM Private Honours and The British Order of Excellence, or something like that..

so the first one would be up to the queen to give to whoever she wants and can be anything.

and the second has to be the one with more traansparacy and relevence..if you know what i mean?
    'm still sticking to my idea of two award tiers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It should really be for those who go well beyond the call of duty - giving a road sweeper a gong for keeping roads swept is ridiculous.
    Absolutely!

ReputationRep:
    I wish we'd get away from this ridiculous idolizing of public sector workers.
    I know we shouldn't idolise them... but if you compare how much a teacher gets payed to the chairman of British Nuclear Fules, seeing that they havn't received the same kind of wage as a chairman of a public company, it does make their acheivement more admirable.

ReputationRep:
    I think the knighthoods should go to explorers, military personal, scientists, and polititians, not celeberties, or sports gods.

If you look at how the knighthood was traditionaly created, it was there for a person who achieved something militarily for britain.

and i really dislike seeing visible minorities coming to toher peoples countries and wanting to change cultures and traditions, if they dont like them, LEAVE.

ReputationRep:
    I know we shouldn't idolise them... but if you compare how much a teacher gets payed to the chairman of British Nuclear Fules, seeing that they havn't received the same kind of wage as a chairman of a public company, it does make their acheivement more admirable.
    It strikes me that the chairman of British Nuclear Fuels has a few more responsibilities than the average geography teacher.

If teachers don't earn as much as the chairman of BNF and are unhappy about that then they should pursue another career. Nobody forces anybody to be a teacher. And remember, there are 100's of thousands of teachers and only a handful of "chairmen of the board". I'm afraid our friend "supply and demand" comes into play here. Teachers are two a penny. Chairman of major corporations aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I think the knighthoods should go to explorers, military personal, scientists, and polititians, not celeberties, or sports gods.

If you look at how the knighthood was traditionaly created, it was there for a person who achieved something militarily for britain.

and i really dislike seeing visible minorities coming to toher peoples countries and wanting to change cultures and traditions, if they dont like them, LEAVE.
    Don't you think everyone has the right to have a say? Your post on one hand says that knighthoods were originally for the military, but then you go on to say it should be expanded to scientists and politicians etc... According to your last point, you think however that change is wrong, and also minorities shouldn't have a say. Why should you have a say, being in Canada, and I shouldn't, being born and bred British? BTW it's not minorities that want change, all sort of people do!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=pkonline]Don't you think everyone has the right to have a say? Why should you have a say, being in Canada, and I shouldn't, being born and bred British? QUOTE]

Erm......because Canada is a Commonwealth country where people still get knighted?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Howard]
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Don't you think everyone has the right to have a say? Why should you have a say, being in Canada, and I shouldn't, being born and bred British? QUOTE]

Erm......because Canada is a Commonwealth country where people still get knighted?
    But the poster said countries, not the Commonwealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Don't you think everyone has the right to have a say? Your post on one hand says that knighthoods were originally for the military, but then you go on to say it should be expanded to scientists and politicians etc... According to your last point, you think however that change is wrong, and also minorities shouldn't have a say. Why should you have a say, being in Canada, and I shouldn't, being born and bred British? BTW it's not minorities that want change, all sort of people do!
    well *******, knighthoods are encluded to evryone in the former british empire, thats right, i have as much to say as you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    well *******, knighthoods are encluded to evryone in the former british empire, thats right, i have as much to say as you!
    I know knighthoods and other honours are for every Commonwealth country, but you original comment went on about countries, not the Commonwealth. I didn't say you shouldn't have a say, of course you should, whether you're in the Commonwealth or not everyone should have a say, just what got me was you comment that you didn't like people sticking their noses into other countries' affairs.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5694555

Someone with true talent has been awarded an honour. Shame it wasn't a higher ranking one.

ReputationRep:
    I think of the monarchy as a commonwealth affair, if the monarchy was abolished in Britian, us canadians would be confused and disorginized. Queen Elizabeth II, god bless her, is the head of state in canada. She and our govenour general are status symbols that are very important.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.