Turn on thread page Beta

Honours system outdated? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I think of the monarchy as a commonwealth affair, if the monarchy was abolished in Britian, us canadians would be confused and disorginized. Queen Elizabeth II, god bless her, is the head of state in canada. She and our govenour general are status symbols that are very important.
    What's your view on the fact that someone who has nothing to do with Canada dishes out honours with "British Empire" on it? Doesn't it feel a little outdated and meaningless?

ReputationRep:
    The honours should have changed its name when we started referring to the Empire as the Commonwealth. No idea if there are any countries who do not fit in both categories.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few countries that were former colonies but aren't part of the Commonwealth, like the USA, Ireland etc..., and I think there's only Mozambique that is in the Commonwealth but was never a colony (?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    There are a few countries that were former colonies but aren't part of the Commonwealth, like the USA, Ireland etc..., and I think there's only Mozambique that is in the Commonwealth but was never a colony (?).
    Interesting point. I wonder if protectorates are allowed to join too (eg Egypt although I believe they are not a member).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10610a.htm I guess it was because they were more of a Portugese conlony than a British one, so they may have opted to join the Commonwealth.

Ireland left the Commonwealth but were a member, no idea if they are one now, shame in a way. Then again, it's a bit obvious why they left. http://www.reform.org/TheReformMovem...les/leavcw.htm

I know Fiji got kicked out of the Commonwealth some time ago but no idea why. I know about Pakistan and Zimbabwe.

As for the USA I sometimes see them in books as once our territory, but not always.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.