The Student Room Group

Physician Associate Studies Manchester and the NW Programme

Hi there guys ! I really would love some help and advice, I just graduated from Biomedical Science at De Montfort University; I'm 23. I quickly realised I hate lab work and I want to work in a clinical setting. I have been so excited about this PA course. I did apply to St Georges ONLY but I got rejected, I admit I really wasn't prepared. I now have my eyes on the NW programme; I am determined to get into the course and I want to be SUPER prepared this time. I would like any advice on the application process, all about the interview and how to prepare and any other thing I NEED, PLEASE AND THANKS =D. PS: Anyone out there planning on applying for the JAN 2017 intake ???? wanna meet ya'll =]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I am currently working in a biochemistry lab (biomedical science graduate) and am waiting to apply for the NW programme myself. We go on holiday in a few weeks so I could do with knowing when the application process will open...
Reply 2
Original post by Alkar
Hi. I am currently working in a biochemistry lab (biomedical science graduate) and am waiting to apply for the NW programme myself. We go on holiday in a few weeks so I could do with knowing when the application process will open...

I'm on the mailing list for the course and they emailed about a month ago to say due to the arrangements for funding still being under discussion that the application process will start in September.
Reply 3
Original post by sarahja
I'm on the mailing list for the course and they emailed about a month ago to say due to the arrangements for funding still being under discussion that the application process will start in September.

September would be good. I'm assuming we need to write a personal statement for our application? I am on nights tonight so I'll be making a start on it 😀
Reply 4
Original post by Alkar
September would be good. I'm assuming we need to write a personal statement for our application? I am on nights tonight so I'll be making a start on it 😀

I imagine a personal statement would be part of it, as it will be through the NHS jobs site apparently and they usually have a section for personal/supporting statement.
Reply 5
NHS jobs profile completed. All ready to apply in September 😀
Reply 6
Original post by Alkar
NHS jobs profile completed. All ready to apply in September 😀

Hi,

What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 7
Original post by P.A
Hi,

What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I've spent quite a few years as a biomedical scientist in biochemistry. How about you?
Reply 8
Original post by Alkar
I've spent quite a few years as a biomedical scientist in biochemistry. How about you?

I only just graduated and its so incredibly hard to find a healthcare job that I've simply given up after 143 applications for jobs! There is a section on the form that asks for information regarding training courses and when they have been completed. Do you know what exact courses can be written here of have you left it blank?
Reply 9
That sounds tough. What was your degree in?
Reply 10
Original post by Alkar
That sounds tough. What was your degree in?

Genetics. And you?
Reply 11
Regarding the training courses I just put the work courses I have recently done and one that's ongoing.
Reply 12
Original post by WendyMay
Hi there guys ! I really would love some help and advice, I just graduated from Biomedical Science at De Montfort University; I'm 23. I quickly realised I hate lab work and I want to work in a clinical setting. I have been so excited about this PA course. I did apply to St Georges ONLY but I got rejected, I admit I really wasn't prepared. I now have my eyes on the NW programme; I am determined to get into the course and I want to be SUPER prepared this time. I would like any advice on the application process, all about the interview and how to prepare and any other thing I NEED, PLEASE AND THANKS =D. PS: Anyone out there planning on applying for the JAN 2017 intake ???? wanna meet ya'll =]

hi!!
I intend on applying for the January intake as well!! I studied my BSc at University of Leicester ages ago though!
Reply 13
Hi guys !
Haha I haven't been active on the thread I started lol sorry guys
All I know so far is that applications will start in September as someone rightfully said
But they haven't stated the dates yet !!
They're taking so long
I currently don't have any healthcare experience... I've been making so many applications on the NHS website 😭 Urgh
But I guess I have experience in making NHS applications 😂
Reply 14
Original post by P.A
I only just graduated and its so incredibly hard to find a healthcare job that I've simply given up after 143 applications for jobs! There is a section on the form that asks for information regarding training courses and when they have been completed. Do you know what exact courses can be written here of have you left it blank?

I feel you on this one girl ! You're a girl right ? Lol
Even though I haven'y made 143 applications wow
What university did you study at ??
Reply 15
And out of curiosity how old is everyone ?
Reply 16
Original post by Ruric
hi!!
I intend on applying for the January intake as well!! I studied my BSc at University of Leicester ages ago though!

Hi there ! Great !
What did you study ?
Reply 17
Original post by WendyMay
Hi there ! Great !
What did you study ?

I did Medical Biochemistry!
Reply 18
Slightly worried that as funding is still not sorted, some funding will be lost next year. Anyone heard anything?
Reply 19
Yes a little concerned about that too.
I hope they get it sorted soon and give us a date as to when we can start applying.. no updates yet.

Latest