Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap Year at 17 - Ski Season, Medical work experience & Travelling Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!
    TL;DR Ski instructing at intermediate level at 17(which courses? & not expensive), travelling solo tips for 17 yr girl

I'm going to have a gap year in 2018-2019 because I am a year ahead at school and would like to be 18 when I got to Uni, but also of course because I want to travel and explore.
    Firstly, I would like to do a ski season as a ski instructor. I am a very competent skier (started when I was 3) with lots of experience, especially because currently I am living in the Alps (father is in the Marines). What are the best instructing courses to do (BASI, CSIA, PSIA...)? I would like to do a course, then do some paid instructing not teaching just basic skills, is there a country that would be more likely to hire 17-year-old instructors (birthday is at the end of May)? I'm open to France, USA, Canada and Switzerland - all places I've been skiing at before, and I have basic french.

Secondly, do you know any websites and ideas for medical work experience for 17 year olds that won't break the bank?

Finally pros and cons with travelling/backpacking solo as a girl at 17?

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.