Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently doing research at the University I'm at over the summer and my parents agreed to support me over the summer. We've since had a disagreement and they've withdrawn their financial support. I have about £10 to my name, my electric is about to run out, I haven't eaten for 2 days now and no idea how I'm going to survive and pay my rent. I've tried to extend my overdraft but the bank declined, I've been refused loans and credit cards, no family/friends I can borrow from, the University can't help as their discretionary fund isn't open till September again, I'm not eligible for any benefits as a student, and am applying for every job I can find and selling everything I own, but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really desperate and scared.

ReputationRep:
    Own up to your parents and apologise?

ReputationRep:
    Job, of any sort if you don't want to say sorry. Even if the job aint minimum wage, I mean you only have a mo nth

ReputationRep:
    Sell your body?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Job and look for things like bar work / cleaner/ kitchen porter. Things that might be casyal and pay quickly.
    Food bank. Also contact the CAB and see if there are any local charities.
    Gi CAB and contact your electric company asking them not to cut you off.

You ahve problems with your rent I cnat see an easy answer for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mauryan)
    Sell your body?
    No OP dont do this!
    Go apologise to your parents!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously go out and find any job you can, you are in a hard situation and youre going to just have to grind it out. But in the end just own up and apologies to your parents, at least for now even if you dont like it or mean it, think logically and just do it.

ReputationRep:
    Get Thuggin'

ReputationRep:
    Resolve your differences with your parents. Parents come in handy for all sorts of things through your life like financial support, free childcare, emotional support, a bolthole when life gets **** and as long as they don't feel taken advantage of you won't get those things anywhere else generally.

Even if they're wrong, just agree with your parents and apologize. Whatever it is will blow over in time - do yourself a favor and speed the process up. Also, literally walk into places and say you want a job and take your CV - not just high street shops. And go for jobs that no one wants to do!! That's where the vacancies are. Also, open another bank account with an overdraft - that way you can get around your current one declining the overdraft. There's a bunch of student one's with large overdrafts.

And in future don't be so financially reliant on your parents. If you get a job, keep it no matter how things work out with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents you'll become a sugar baby if they don't help you

Also make sure to let them know you'll tell all their friends their daughter is a sugar baby so they'll be embarrassed!

ReputationRep:
    Sell your body?
    I hope you mean modelling?

ReputationRep:
    What about babysitting, dog walking or tutoring?

ReputationRep:
    Just apologise to your parents.

ReputationRep:
    How much are your expenses usually? 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go to the local food bank and they will help you with a food parcel. Where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    Sell your body?

ReputationRep:
    Go to a nearest warehouse and ask for a job. They tend to hire anyone who asks. McDonalds also hire anyone and need people all the time.

Find a local YMCA office, Routes is my local one, or similar help for young people. They can help you figure it all out. They also usually have small food parcels so can give one to you and also can refer you to the food bank for more food.

ReputationRep:
    do webcam vids or sell pictures etc to people you don't know online lol. in all seriousness you could get a loan from somewhere okay the interest rates aren't nice but if you desperately need the cash now when you get your loan you can pay it back and I doubt the interest if you borrow say 4-500 pounds will be more than a hundred quid
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Apply to agencies, there are plenty of them and they have a lot of jobs to offer.

Also, apply to warehouse jobs, such as picker, packer, warehouse operative, parcel sorter, sorter on Totaljobs.

Buy your local Express and Star everyday, they have jobs advertised, good luck!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.