Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Year - Best continent to go backpacking solo? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR!
    I'm gonna do some backpacking in my gap year. What backpacking have you done and where? I don't know where to go! I won't go to North America or Europe, atm I'm thinking about travelling solo around South America or Asia/SE Asia. Any ideas? Also I will be 17 yr girl, so I'm a bit worried about security.

ReputationRep:
    You can't take a gap year at 17?

Would you consider going with other people?

ReputationRep:
    South America > Asia/SE asia.

ReputationRep:
    Antarctica.

No people there so it's completely safe.

ReputationRep:
    At 17, nowhere
    South America and Europe as they're hostel-land...very sociable.
    'Asia' is easy and cheap, but few hostels and plentiful cheap hotels mean it's that little bit harder to meet people as you're not forced to share rooms with them. That said SEA is -really- easy to travel and plenty sociable anyway. Do it first as it's great - and South America will somewhat spoil you - when i returned to SEA it dawned on me that it was overrun with the kind of travellers that make my skin crawl...
    Security? Glasgow on a Friday night is probably a riskier proposition than most of the 3rd world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    At 17, nowhere
    South America and Europe as they're hostel-land...very sociable.
    'Asia' is easy and cheap, but few hostels and plentiful cheap hotels mean it's that little bit harder to meet people as you're not forced to share rooms with them. That said SEA is -really- easy to travel and plenty sociable anyway. Do it first as it's great - and South America will somewhat spoil you - when i returned to SEA it dawned on me that it was overrun with the kind of travellers that make my skin crawl...
    Security? Glasgow on a Friday night is probably a riskier proposition than most of the 3rd world
    like what do they do? do drugs?

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand is really safe, only problem is if you go to hostels you would need to book a private room everywhere until you are 18.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, You should book tour or make the plan travel to Southeast Asia where the best place for traveling alone. You can read some tips
    http://www.articlesbase.com/travel-t...e-7448607.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrahim)
    like what do they do? do drugs?
    Nothing fundamentally wrong with that (other than it being illegal).

Complete lack of respect, particularly the locals and country, is more the issue. Ok, the locals make good money out of them, either through business or scams, and put up with them - but that symbiosis still makes my skin crawl. Head over the the south east of Khophangan at fool moon and see for yourself

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.