The Student Room Group

good enough to apply?

after reading posts on this board, im not reallly sure if i could compete for a place at dental school. i dont want to sound like im not passionate about dentistry and not confidant enough but im just trying to be realistic :s-smilie:

so..i have 5A's and 5A*s at GCSE
im quite academic and just done my ASs in spanish, eng lit, bio and chem. i dont think i failed them as such but i dont think i have got the grades that i need- A/Bs
i volounteer at an old peoples day centre in my parish, in my church and read with under priveledged kids
got 4 days work experence in a private dental surgery (so far)
hobbies include swimming, irish music and ive recently taken up cross stitch/embroidery
BUT tbh im not very good at interviews

all opinions welcome, do you think i have a chance?
and what can i do to improve my chances?:confused:
Apply anyway, with courses like this, work experience can sometimes far outweigh the grades. If you have the experience and the passion, then that should show in any interview. You definitely have the potential to achieve the grades, so i wouldn't attempt to make any predictions before results day.
Practise mock interviews with your teachers and family. I was really worried about interviews but was fine during the actual interview. Most of the interviewers are really friendly so dont let this put you off!
Reply 3
lets weigh up your pro's:
your gcse's are excellent
your doing bio and chem
working with people you must have developed some good communication skills when dealing with both the elderly and the young. you show commitment with your voluntary work which is something they like at the selection process.
you already have dexterity in your hobby!!!! Dexterity is an area that proves you would be able to complete intricate dental procedures. show them your hobby work and prove you can do it!
I managed to get on with 5 GCSE's at grade A,C,C,C,C and F in Maths! so i really wouldnt worry about the academic side of it.
A good personal statement and keen interest in dentistry at the interview stage should help you loads.

you have no Cons!!!
get applying and dont let anything worry you. you have desirable qualities and thats what selectors will look for!
:biggrin: :p: :wink: :rolleyes: :smile:
Reply 4
thanks for your help everybody! i reallly appreciate it!

i shall carry on following the dream, as corny as that sounds!:biggrin:

i hav another quick question, im trying to look around as many dental schools as i can, so far ive been to leeds, sheffield, manchester and newcastle which is by far my favorite
is there anywhere else (outside london) that is worth a look?
*torturer in training*

i hav another quick question, im trying to look around as many dental schools as i can, so far ive been to leeds, sheffield, manchester and newcastle which is by far my favorite
is there anywhere else (outside london) that is worth a look?

i really liked cardiff (which i wasnt expecting too)... tbh there are no bad dental schools in the UK, they are all excellent and worth considering :smile:

also you definatly sound like a good dental applicant - go for it and good luck
Diesel1978

I managed to get on with 5 GCSE's at grade A,C,C,C,C and F in Maths!

How long ago was this? other aspects of your application must have been outstanding! what did you get for your a-levels and where did you apply as i thought most dental schools want like 5 a's at gcse?
Reply 7
I did an access course with averages in Biology(87%) and Chemistry(84%). I do have the added bonus of working in the dental field which will have helped me alot, but to be honest it all boils down to the interview and whether your suited to the course and overall job role.

Latest