Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi!

i did modern world history (treaty of versailles/germany/britain) for gcse and will be doing the edexcel history course next year (henry VII and stalin).

has anyone got any advice on how i can do well, or does anyone know what i can do to "get ahead" for next year? books/revision guides or any other tips would be great

cheers!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    don't do it!!! No seriously I think with History you just have to be able to write essays, argue and know your stuff. I would just read up on the history of the time period, as it really does help to know other factors that would affect these topics. So basically background knowledge is what you need to know. Maybe buy an AS book, but I found everything I needed to on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i wouldn't do anything untill you begin your course. you might find you begin with stalin when you've read the whole summer on henry Vii and you'll forget it all. if your school is half decent they should give you a bibliography of books that will be helpful in the course. i did henry vii as part of my a2 course, and i'd say anything by john guy or geoffrey elton is a good place to start. i'd also look around history today for good articles etc. but like i said, i'd wait till you start the course.

ReputationRep:
    Well my school was half decent and didn't give me a reading list lol.

The step up with any subjects is considerable but to be honest if you are a good student a GCSE if you continue to work hard and listen to what the teacher says about essay skills then you should be able to maintain high standards at AS. We were told as a rough guide you drop a grade as AS to GCSE. So if you got an A* you'd get an A at AS. Saying that, a lot of people with Bs at GCSE managed to get Bs at AS.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others really- you don't need to do any preparation because you don't know which module you'll start with, which topics/periods in particular you'll cover or which books are best. I wouldn't bother with a revision guide either- they're generally useless at A-level for arts subjects, and especially history because they cover all the possible options in one book, so they go into hardly any detail on each. Your textbook should be enough and your teachers will tell you if there are any specific books that would be useful. As for doing well, all you can really do is attend and pay attention in all your lessons, do all your work and homework, be organised (eg folders with subject dividers and plastic wallets) ask if there's anything you don't understand or are struggling with, make sure you know why you got a certain grade for an essay and how to improve and revise well in advance, practicing exam technique as well as memorising the content. Pretty standard stuff that applies to all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I agree with the others really- you don't need to do any preparation because you don't know which module you'll start with, which topics/periods in particular you'll cover or which books are best. I wouldn't bother with a revision guide either- they're generally useless at A-level for arts subjects, and especially history because they cover all the possible options in one book, so they go into hardly any detail on each. Your textbook should be enough and your teachers will tell you if there are any specific books that would be useful. As for doing well, all you can really do is attend and pay attention in all your lessons, do all your work and homework, be organised (eg folders with subject dividers and plastic wallets) ask if there's anything you don't understand or are struggling with, make sure you know why you got a certain grade for an essay and how to improve and revise well in advance, practicing exam technique as well as memorising the content. Pretty standard stuff that applies to all subjects.
    :dito: :dito:

ReputationRep:
    Go in there expecting it to be difficult and be prepared to work hard. Some of my class (myself included) got As and A*s for GCSE and thought it would be walk in the park. We were soon brought down to earth! Don't beat yourself up if you can't write A grade essays straight away, you will get there in the end!

Basically what the others said really- keep on top of your work, be organised with your notes, ask if you don't understand, read around the subject etc. I agree that general revision guides are pretty useless for History, if you can get hold of the unit guides (they're like little A5 books, they sometimes sell them at revision conferences but they're on the net too) they're quite good. Had one for OCR Nazi Germany and it had practice exam questions and sources. I'm sure they have them for Edexcel too.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about changing one of my options from psychology to History, we do History AQA and it seems to be all about Russia, Spain, British politics, i did America & Germany for GCSE and loved it but I am unsure how I will like these topics?

does anyone do as History AQA, early modern/modern world?? is it hard, workload, what is like compared to gcse??

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy history then I would recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Bar the personal study, which is as hard as you make it but immensely enjoyable, I don't really think there's that much of a step up from gcse level history. So long as you just read the books, memorise the key bits and can write essays (or write a load of practice ones to get better) you should be fine.

I think the main area people go wrong is that they write narratives rather than analyses.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.