Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi there!
    hoping to be in aber in september so i'm starting to think about getting stuff together to bring... i have applied for my accomodation with cwart mawr been my first choice...what i'm wanting to know is, are there strict rules about what you can and can't have in your room i'm wanting to bring a mini fridge but i know some unis don't allow this do aber? are there any other rules i should know about as to what to bring and what to leave at home?
    thanks
    nick

ReputationRep:
    They don't allow mini fridges, unless for medical reasons. Fairy lights and candles are another no, can't recall what else, but when you get offered a place in accommodation you do get something that tells you. It might even be up on the aber accommodation webpage somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    um, minifridges are a no-no but u hear everyone saying "when they come to check just put it in ur cupboard they cant look in there"
    There's stuff like weapons obviously but things like BB guns (walking past block 4 to get down into town was treacharous in my first year)
    Pets are a no-no, so are family members. Raves in ones room are usually frowned upon. But besides that it's usually okay

ReputationRep:
    No BB guns?

I thought there was an airsoft society?

ReputationRep:
    Have you had your licence agreement through yet?

If so, that tells you everything you aren't allowed in your room :p:

(I'm gutted we're not allowed our own kettles in our room... I really can't be bothered to walk to the kitchen every time I want a cup of tea! (unless my room was right next to the kitchen...) :p: )

ReputationRep:
    You could have a flask of tea made at the start of the day and then u wuldnt have to keep going back and forth

ReputationRep:
    Ah, good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somebody)
    Have you had your licence agreement through yet?

If so, that tells you everything you aren't allowed in your room :p:

(I'm gutted we're not allowed our own kettles in our room... I really can't be bothered to walk to the kitchen every time I want a cup of tea! (unless my room was right next to the kitchen...) :p: )
    Get a mini-kettle, I had one in Penbryn and nnothing was said about it. The reason they're not allowed is because the steam can set your smoke detector off, so just place it as far away from the detector as possible or coverr it up when it is on so the steam doesn't go everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    A fair few people on my floor had mini fridges, just hid them in wardrobes or cars during room inspections, someone even managed to get a fridge that wasn't too far off normal size on some dodgy medical grounds!

As Crisps said it's mainly things that are likely to set a smoke detector off/start a fire if left unattended that you're not supposed to have so not users toasters, irons etc in your room....

ReputationRep:
    I had an iron too...

Not that I used it :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.