Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I honestly don't get what's going on... (Dating) Watch

So I've been dating this woman for a few months. We've known of each other for a year or two but only started dating a few months ago.

Things have been going quite well and we've grown to spend a fair bit of time together and get on well (as distance would permit)

We already had a bit of a chat about things previously and agreed that we wanted to take things slowly.

Like we'd meet each other every other week, talk about the future a bit and I've even met her family a few times. Having lunch with her sister!

I noticed things were getting a bit odd the past week, only to see last night during a game of 21 questions that she says she's single and talking about her "potential babe". A friend pointed all this out to me.

So I decided to chat to her about it and she said that she isn't looking for anything serious right now and that she wants us to go back to before "getting to know each other casually". (We know what this means *rubs hands* ) She's heading off on a short study abroad in the next few months (I'm here trying to forge my career) so she's not up for commitment.

Basically I don't really know what's going on tbh. Whether this is literally just a back up or convenience thing or she (understandably) wants to scale things back while she's heading off for the next few months.

Personally for me, it wouldn't be an issue either way as I just wanted to see how things went at first but I'd have rather it be more of an up front thing than me looking a bit silly in front of people. That is what's wound me up tbh

Bump
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've been dating this woman for a few months. We've known of each other for a year or two but only started dating a few months ago.

Things have been going quite well and we've grown to spend a fair bit of time together and get on well (as distance would permit)

We already had a bit of a chat about things previously and agreed that we wanted to take things slowly.

Like we'd meet each other every other week, talk about the future a bit and I've even met her family a few times. Having lunch with her sister!

I noticed things were getting a bit odd the past week, only to see last night during a game of 21 questions that she says she's single and talking about her "potential babe". A friend pointed all this out to me.

So I decided to chat to her about it and she said that she isn't looking for anything serious right now and that she wants us to go back to before "getting to know each other casually". (We know what this means *rubs hands* ) She's heading off on a short study abroad in the next few months (I'm here trying to forge my career) so she's not up for commitment.

Basically I don't really know what's going on tbh. Whether this is literally just a back up or convenience thing or she (understandably) wants to scale things back while she's heading off for the next few months.

Personally for me, it wouldn't be an issue either way as I just wanted to see how things went at first but I'd have rather it be more of an up front thing than me looking a bit silly in front of people. That is what's wound me up tbh
    Hate to say it but it sounds like she is hinting and trying to let you down gently without hurting your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    If the angst starts before anything good has started, forget it. Plenty more fish..

ReputationRep:
    I would call her bluff and dump her before she dumps you.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
    Hate to say it but it sounds like she is hinting and trying to let you down gently without hurting your feelings.
    This is it. We're usually so direct with things, I don't get why she wants to casually date in that case. Literally just the other day we were out and probably more strangely we're off on a weekend trip next week!!

(Original post by Polka_Specs)
    I would call her bluff and dump her before she dumps you.
    Tbh it's dead in the water. I'm letting next week's trip run it's course and I'm out...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it's dead in the water. I'm letting next week's trip run it's course and I'm out...
    Ok

But let her down before she does it , don't even let her gain any sense for what about to hit her.

She has treated you with such contempt , let her taste some of her own medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

But let her down before she does it , don't even let her gain any sense for what about to hit her.

She has treated you with such contempt , let her taste some of her own medicine.

Very true, I hardly feel good at all tbh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.