Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12, going into year 13 and i resat year 12 due to bad grades (c's and d's). im planning on doing mathematics at university and am considering applying to cambridge. i study maths further maths and physics. assuming in my AS i got a's with over 90 ums, would it be worth applying to cambridge for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny5263)
    I'm in year 12, going into year 13 and i resat year 12 due to bad grades (c's and d's). im planning on doing mathematics at university and am considering applying to cambridge. i study maths further maths and physics. assuming in my AS i got a's with over 90 ums, would it be worth applying to cambridge for maths?
    Realistically, for Cambridge Maths, unless you've had serious extenuating circumstances, if you aren't breezing through AS-level maths with high As, you're not in with much of a chance. By all means apply, but know that most successful applicants will have flown through A-level Maths/FM with no issues.

ReputationRep:
    Most successful applicants would achieve a high 90s average in AS Maths and Further Maths, with few 100 UMS marks, generally in C1, C2 and maybe one other. However, the real reason for this is that admissions tutors just want to gauge which applicants would succeed on the course, and more importantly when applying, whether they can achieve a high mark in STEP. One would still likely get an interview with a low 90 average though, plus no-one really knows their chances of success until applying, so I say go for it!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As Helenia said, you would need extenuating circumstances for Cambridge to consider you if you had to resit an entire year. They don't mind 1, or maybe 2, module retakes, but any more will cause you problems.

If you really want to shoot for Cambridge but don't have extenuating circumstances then a post A-level application (with A*A*A at least) would realistically be your only chance.

If you do have extenuating circumstances then you can follow the guidance here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...umstances-form

ReputationRep:
    thank you for all your replies. something i forgot to add is that is that this is my 1st time doing further maths ever, and i am currently sitting a different exam board for physics. in theory, i only took 3 exams this year which i took last year.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for all your replies. something i forgot to add is that is that this is my 1st time doing further maths ever, and i am currently sitting a different exam board for physics. in theory, i only took 3 exams this year which i took last year.
    ps: i also am in a college in the bottom 40% in the uk

ReputationRep:
    and i also am teaching myself independently an a2 mechanics unit, and i am covering most a level material in my summer. (a teacher will reference this for me)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    and i also am teaching myself independently an a2 mechanics unit, and i am covering most a level material in my summer. (a teacher will reference this for me)
    All this can be included in the SAQ when (if) you apply. It's only 1 place on your UCAS so if you want to apply go ahead.

But the fact is it will have taken 3 years for you to cover 2 years work. The pace at Cambridge is very intense which is why they don't typically make offers in your situation unless there are extenuating circumstances as I already mentioned.

You will also have to do well at STEP. Have you looked at any STEP papers? Don't worry if they seem hard... they are. But they will also give you an indication of the standard they expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    All this can be included in the SAQ when (if) you apply. It's only 1 place on your UCAS so if you want to apply go ahead.

But the fact is it will have taken 3 years for you to cover 2 years work. The pace at Cambridge is very intense which is why they don't typically make offers in your situation unless there are extenuating circumstances as I already mentioned.

You will also have to do well at STEP. Have you looked at any STEP papers? Don't worry if they seem hard... they are. But they will also give you an indication of the standard they expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you for your reply once again friend, i am (new to it) but familiar with step and how the exams work. for me, attaining the grades isnt the issue, however attaining a offer is what is going to be the hardest part. what does SAQ stand for?

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your reply once again friend, i am (new to it) but familiar with step and how the exams work. for me, attaining the grades isnt the issue, however attaining a offer is what is going to be the hardest part. what does SAQ stand for?
    SAQ = Supplementary Application Questionnaire

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

ReputationRep:
    what sort of things can someone in my position do to improve chances of getting an interview
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    what sort of things can someone in my position do to improve chances of getting an interview
    Beyond what I've already said, maybe ask here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4217492
    Ask an interviewer - Mathematics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.