Turn on thread page Beta

My mum hates that I play games watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So i'm a gamer gurllll loljk and i play LoL, perhaps one-five games a day and since it's the summers i have every right to do so.

i also have a part time job, i also learn other things in my spare time like maths, painting, DIY stuff.

my mum knows that i do all of this but she picks out gaming and say ''people who game will ruin their life, i dont want you to play anymore, you should do better things in your spare time'' so by now i'm quite mad at her hypocrisy as she binge watches tv dramas like throughout the night...wtf

do you think this is reasonable? i dont spend ALL day playing games, i do other things too. she even compares me to other 20 years old who start a millionaire business at a young age and how theyre much better than me...im ******* 16 havent even done my A levels...smh asian parents knows no bounds.

she randomly gives me lectures at dinner time too like i cant even eat in peace. my dad knows how inconvenient it is but he also plays along with her like...

ReputationRep:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    So i'm a gamer gurllll loljk and i play LoL, perhaps one-five games a day and since it's the summers i have every right to do so.

i also have a part time job, i also learn other things in my spare time like maths, painting, DIY stuff.

my mum knows that i do all of this but she picks out gaming and say ''people who game will ruin their life, i dont want you to play anymore, you should do better things in your spare time'' so by now i'm quite mad at her hypocrisy as she binge watches tv dramas like throughout the night...wtf

do you think this is reasonable? i dont spend ALL day playing games, i do other things too. she even compares me to other 20 years old who start a millionaire business at a young age...im ******* 16 havent even done my A levels...smh asian parents knows no bounds.

she randomly gives me lectures at dinner time too like i cant even eat in peace. my dad knows how inconvenient it is but he also plays along with her like...
    Tell her to git gud

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If your grades are good, then she has less room to complain. You seem pretty switched on, so I wouldnt let it bother you, just dont give her ammunition. You might wnat to think about preparing your UCAS form so you might need a few things for that. Game all you like now imo , especially as exams are over.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I understand her thinking that you could spend your time more productively, but it isn't particularly reasonable to expect you not to have any leisure time. If you are a good student and are progressing well towards your goals then that should probably suffice. This being said, she will want the best for you and it no doubt trying to guide in the way that will facilitate forming better habits.

Ultimately this is something you will have to navigate with your mum. Try making rational arguments and fall back on the fact that you are still doing X, Y or Z. Perhaps you could compromise in the interest of fostering a better relationship?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not sure rational arguments always go very well with your mum.

ReputationRep:
    Mine lowkey hates that I play games aswell, but what can i do?

All my friends are on holiday/work, and I literally have no talent besides gaming

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I hate it when my mum is like this too

ReputationRep:
    You ain't no girl babes. We weren't allowed to be on computers and video games growing up also, and I'm thankful for that instead we were out doing activities. Listen to your mama.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If your grades are good, then she has less room to complain. You seem pretty switched on, so I wouldnt let it bother you, just dont give her ammunition. You might wnat to think about preparing your UCAS form so you might need a few things for that. Game all you like now imo , especially as exams are over.
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I understand her thinking that you could spend your time more productively, but it isn't particularly reasonable to expect you not to have any leisure time. If you are a good student and are progressing well towards your goals then that should probably suffice. This being said, she will want the best for you and it no doubt trying to guide in the way that will facilitate forming better habits.

Ultimately this is something you will have to navigate with your mum. Try making rational arguments and fall back on the fact that you are still doing X, Y or Z. Perhaps you could compromise in the interest of fostering a better relationship?
    she knows i do well in school cos i told her all the results ive had for my early maths and english gcse. when i binge watch tv dramas, she's at me for that as well so i argue that she does it too and she told me i shouldnt compare me to her when she's old and have her life together. so rational arguments dont work on her. like i said, im already doing a ton of other things this summer that's considered productive, i really really cant wait to move out :cry:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just say "Look, what I choose to do in my spare time is up to me, please don't tell me you spend every minute of your day doing something productive rather than taking a bit of time to do things just because you enjoy doing them...".
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    she knows i do well in school cos i told her all the results ive had for my early maths and english gcse. when i binge watch tv dramas, she's at me for that as well so i argue that she does it too and she told me i shouldnt compare me to her when she's old and have her life together. so rational arguments dont work on her. like i said, im already doing a ton of other things this summer that's considered productive, i really really cant wait to move out :cry:
    Well, I suppose you just have to deal with it in whatever way you feel is best. I'm confident she is only doing what she thinks is going to benefit you the most. During the holidays, or indeed the weekends, I see little issue with a few hours of gaming if you're not failing at school :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

do you think this is reasonable? i dont spend ALL day playing games, i do other things too. she even compares me to other 20 years old who start a millionaire business at a young age and how theyre much better than me...im ******* 16 havent even done my A levels...smh asian parents knows no bounds.

my nan thinks doing a course thats not university is the end of the world and moans about it every saturday for 20 minutes, welcome to irriating older generation.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  xyvrPnH.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  85.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    I play LoL too haha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    my nan thinks doing a course thats not university is the end of the world and moans about it every saturday for 20 minutes, welcome to irriating older generation.
    oh god that is annoying, i dont see how it's anyone's business what you choose for your future
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by junayd1998)
    I play LoL too haha
    the community is BS but i keep playing it

ReputationRep:
    the community is BS but i keep playing it
    What tier are you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    You ain't no girl babes. We weren't allowed to be on computers and video games growing up also, and I'm thankful for that instead we were out doing activities. Listen to your mama.
    .. ? ?? ??? ?
    You mean just you, right?

ReputationRep:
    Video Games broaden the mind. Have a talk with your mum, but don't forget your potential. If you're playing more than 2 hours daily, that's, even for a good gamer like me - I've realised 2 hours daily is enough. In fact I don't even get 2 hours.

1 hour is enough. Nevertheless, talk to her because there might be something else she's worried about, and nitpicking about video games could just be to get her mind off whatever distraction's bothering her. Just a possibility. You might be headed towards important times of your life too - so, have self-discipline. Good Luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.