Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Statement from the Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs

Statement from the Foreign Secretary Rt Hon. PetrosAC MP
on behalf of Her Majesty's Government

Following the failed coup by parts of the Turkish military on President Erdogan and the Turkish Government, this Government is appalled by the actions taken by President Erdogan during and after the coup. During the coup, the President called on civilians to put themselves in the way of harm in an attempt to stay in power, whilst he continues to completely ignore the constitutional framework that Turkey stands upon.

The Turkish President's unwillingness to rule out the Death Penalty is the last in a long line of human right breaches and it is these kind of breaches that must come to an end before Turkey can consider this Government an ally. This includes Turkey recently halting the European Convention of Human Rights in the wake of the coup. Furthermore, tens of thousands of people, from educators to members of the judiciary, have lost their jobs and livelihoods, and if not worse, in a reactionary purge following the coup. This Government does not support these actions.

This Government also does not support the Turkish President's attempt to move Turkey towards an Islamist state. There are people of all religions within Turkey, which should remain a constitutionally secular country in the best interests of all Turkish citizens and residents. In addition to this, Turkey continues to illegally occupy the North of Cyprus, a key strategic ally given the continuing unrest in the middle east.

It is for these reasons that this Government will seek to begin economic sanctions against Turkey in co-operation with other UN countries.

These sanctions will include: An increase in import tariffs, the discouragement of Turkey as a tourist destination for British Citizens and halting all aerial and naval transport routes between the countries that are not commercial.

- The Rt Hon. PetrosAC MP - Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So we are now destabilising NATO and pushing Turkey toward Russia not to mention that the government doesn't belive in disestablishment of the church from the state and some government ministers support the death penalty.

I don't support the Turkish president but this isn't exactly very diplomatic now is it?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
So we are now destabilising NATO and pushing Turkey toward Russia not to mention that the government doesn't belive in disestablishment of the church from the state and some government ministers support the death penalty.

I don't support the Turkish president but this isn't exactly very diplomatic now is it?
Russia sanctioned Turkey at one point.

At this point, the freedom and rights of the Turkish people come before "diplomacy"
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)

At this point, the freedom and rights of the Turkish people come before "diplomacy"
Soft ear power and back room negotiations would work better.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It took a while but we finally have a capable Foreign Secretary. :yy: Good work, I support this statement.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Yeah but Russia didn't sanction because of any of the stuff mentioned in OP they sanctioned Turkey because of the downing of a Russian jet.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Yeah but Russia didn't sanction because of any of the stuff mentioned in OP they sanctioned Turkey because of the downing of a Russian jet.
I see this as a more valid reason. This Government will put the rights and freedoms of individuals before diplomatic ties. We will be as tough as we can - We have a loud voice and we will be heard.
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Naive, naive, naive. Yes, what Erdogan is doing right now is awful and I absolutely do not support it. But sometimes, just sometimes you have to put pragmatism ahead of ideology. Turkey still has comittments as a NATO member and could in the right circumstances be a crucial ally to the west. All this will do is further the determination of Erdogan and his supporters to crush the notion of Turkey as a liberal, secular, democratic state by giving them the ammunition to spread the belief that they will never really be seen as one of us or have their opinions respected, playing right into his hands and risking the possibility of them building relations instead with our enemies. We must offer the Turkish people respect and the hand of friendship, and encourage them to peacefully choose an alternative at the ballot box rather than treat the nation as petulant, disobidient children.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You have to failed to explain how sanctioning Turkey will improve the freedom and rights of the Turkish people. For such a tactic to work, you have to assume that the powers that be actually give a **** about the livelihoods of Turkish people. Given that Erdogan urged civilians to put themselves in harms way, wants to reintroduce the death penalty and suspend the ECHR (and in all likelihood was probably behind the coup himself, false flag n all that), I think we can safely assume he doesn't care about Turkish people. The sanctions you have announced will affect Turkish businesses, not the politicians who are to blame.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As the Shadow Secretary of State, I implore that the Government engage in talks in an attempt to solidify the position of the Erdogan.

The rights of the people should be assured and the HR abuses should not be tolerated.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only imagine sanctions will increase Erdogan's wrath, and to speed up what it is he is trying to do.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain (is what I would vote if this were an SoI). There are positive and negative points which loosely balance each other out IMO.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
You have to failed to explain how sanctioning Turkey will improve the freedom and rights of the Turkish people. For such a tactic to work, you have to assume that the powers that be actually give a **** about the livelihoods of Turkish people. Given that Erdogan urged civilians to put themselves in harms way, wants to reintroduce the death penalty and suspend the ECHR (and in all likelihood was probably behind the coup himself, false flag n all that), I think we can safely assume he doesn't care about Turkish people. The sanctions you have announced will affect Turkish businesses, not the politicians who are to blame.
We seek sanctions with other UN countries. These threaten to hurt Turkey's economy. Erdogan backs down. It's really not that complex.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do we extradite anyone to Turkey? Surely that should be suspended for the time being?*
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DanE1998)
As the Shadow Secretary of State, I implore that the Government engage in talks in an attempt to solidify the position of the Erdogan.

The rights of the people should be assured and the HR abuses should not be tolerated.
Solidify the position of someone willing to re-instate the death penalty and completely overlook the rights of his citizens!?

Clearly Labour aren't the Party of the People....
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We seek sanctions with other UN countries. These threaten to hurt Turkey's economy. Erdogan backs down. It's really not that complex.
We should be acting with other countries through the EU and UN on sanctions.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Do we extradite anyone to Turkey? Surely that should be suspended for the time being?*
I'll look into this further but that comes under Home.

Krollo, could you look into stopping any possible extraditions (is that even the word?) to Turkey?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
We should be acting with other countries through the EU and UN on sanctions.
That is the idea. We will be going to the UN to seek sanctions. Not unilaterally imposing them. I believe I make that clear in the statement.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let me outline what this statement does:

- Completely and utterly criticises Erdogan's regime
- Outlines the fact that we wish to go to use the UN to impose sanctions on Turkey

That is all.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Again, hurting Turkey's economy hurts the livelihoods of the Turkish people, the very people you purport to caring about, but not necessarily the politicians. As Saoirse succinctly explained, this can actually play into their hands creating an us vs them mentality, where once again the West is the bad guy. You really need to think through the unintended long term consequences that actions like this can have. Once again this government is acting on instinct rather than critical thinking.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed