Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently on the search for a laptop with;

<[or equal to] 2.5Ghz
    Good graphics card
    Sony, Toshiba, Compaq, Acer
    Purchase in England

Any websites with outlets in England would be greatly appreciated I'd prefer not to purchase a laptop off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Sony TR5MP

They rock!

ReputationRep:
    But Sony's laptop's are way over-priced :eek:

I'd have a look at Dell's line-up. They seem to offer quality laptops at reasonable prices.

ReputationRep:
    take a look at pcworld's website, you should be able to find some top range laptops there. PCworld has a price policy (can't remember what it's called now), basically means that if you can find a retailer selling the same product at a lower price, you can show the evidence get the product at that "lower" price. I don't know whether it applies to online retailers or not. If it does, check out www.dabs.com as they usually have a lower listing price.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Depending on your budget it might be worth checking out IBMs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    But Sony's laptop's are way over-priced :eek:

I'd have a look at Dell's line-up. They seem to offer quality laptops at reasonable prices.
    I know they are, but they are niiiice!

My boyf has a TR1MP I am coverting!

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are a bit of a scam I think at the moment. What are you planning on using it for?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for compaq....excellent value for money, i have had no probs with mine. Would recommend mine but it's got a centrino processor and you didn't say anything about wireless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I know they are, but they are niiiice!

My boyf has a TR1MP I am coverting!
    Indeed they are, but I couldn't justify the extra cost (when you can get an equivalent much cheaper).

Sony are trying to become the Apple of the PC world

ReputationRep:
    I seem to post this link quite a lot, but if you're buying a laptop just ask what people think of it, or look at what has already been said here.
    http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

In general, the people know what they are talking about

ReputationRep:
    I have an Acer I think its really good value for the money Laptops are just like desktops really only much much smaller obviously. I found it invaluable at uni this year as I could easily move it around and create more space on my desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    I have an Acer I think its really good value for the money Laptops are just like desktops really only much much smaller obviously. I found it invaluable at uni this year as I could easily move it around and create more space on my desk.
    I got a TFT screen for my desk top! No space at all! Should have done it sooner!

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on spending about 1300 euros, if that is of any help.

ReputationRep:
    Dell seem to make very good laptops for the price, with the customisation option as a bonus for anyone looking for really specific components. They also have very good customer service from our experience. The company my dad works for gets all its PCs (not necessarily laptops) from Dell, and have done for years. They barely ever have any problems (if there are any, its down to the over-paid idiotic engineers they employ).

My familys experience with laptops has been:
    -a few years back my dad got an Advent laptop. It was poorly built and seemed to get incredibly hot very quickly, but it was cheap. Lesson learnt: don't by laptops without doing research or shopping around.
    -when the Advent broke, he invested (or the company he works for did) in a Hewlet Packard laptop. Once again this didnt last long. Became very very slow over time and was also poorly built.
    -Finally, my sister has now got a Dell laptop which still appears as fast as it was when we first bought it. Very good build and spec for the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwarwick)
    I was planning on spending about 1300 euros, if that is of any help.
    The £ is our currency

I agree with Kingslaw - if your after something basic that gets the job done, Dell have some fantastic offers at the mo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    The £ is our currency

I agree with Kingslaw - if your after something basic that gets the job done, Dell have some fantastic offers at the mo...
    I know , I'm not too certain about the exchange rate so I decided not to wager a guess besides its Englands fault for not adopting the euro

ReputationRep:
    I know , I'm not too certain about the exchange rate so I decided not to wager a guess besides its Englands fault for not adopting the euro
    according to oanda.com it converts to 865.15 pounds and $1,613.56. I think you can get a pretty competetative notebook for that amount. I would check out dell.

ReputationRep:
    Ah why does everyone like dell so much I guess I have no choice. I will certainly give them a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Ah why does everyone like dell so much I guess I have no choice. I will certainly give them a chance.
    I don't like them, I just know that the price is cheap and the quality is better than some. If i could get any laptop I wanted, no matter the price, I would go with Toshiba. But the fact is that Toshibas are expensives, just like IBM, and Sony.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Sony or Dell. The Sony Vaio A-Series is looking particuarily appealing. The only disadvantage is that you cant customise the laptop spec like you can with Dell. But with Sony you know what your getting - good, solid, stylish quality build backed up by excellent customer service, even if a bit pricey.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.