Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK Enters the world economy - should we leave the welfare state? Watch

ReputationRep:
    UK Enters the world economy - should we leave the welfare state?

Hear me out:
    - Will be competing with the world
    - We don't want to be flooded with immigrants again
    - We need more people to go to work so we can build competitive goods + services
    - Welfare state has created GENERATIONS of welfare dependent people

Is now the time?

i.e We reduce housing benefits, child benefits etc. Basically making it impossible to live a long time on benefits which will encourage a greater work ethic and even entrepreneurship.

Will use the benefits to further fund the disabled, elderly etc. Those that deserve more.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Ok
    we all want cheap strawberries don't we?

ReputationRep:
    Welfare is necessary as a net, but it can't be used as a choice of lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lets just kill off all poor and disabled people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Yeah, lets just kill off all poor and disabled people.
    Not for the disabled, they will be given more. Taken off lazy people living off the state.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Not for the disabled, they will be given more. Taken off lazy people living off the state.
    I don't really think there are very many people who are doing this out of genuine laziness though. They just make good stories for the good old Daily Mail.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you need more people to go to work, then why not invest in more skills and training so they get the skills employers want?

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely don't understand how OP hasn't been banned yet. Almost all of the posts he makes are troll posts, he comes out with completely different political views all the time and people are still buying into his threads?

ReputationRep:
    From where do you get the notion that we're not already in the world economy?

ReputationRep:
    And what about all the people who genuinely can't find work? Or are you eager to see more homeless people in the country, because I'm sure that will make a great impression on the world stage :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be acceptable to incentivize people to find work rather than staying on welfare indefinitely, and to put more restrictions on who can or cannot receive it. But I think ending it entirely would be unfeasible.

I like the idea of universal basic income, as an alternative to a welfare system. But it's probably impractical at this point in time.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck ever seeing a majority back that, the welfare state is a hallowed treasure be it for better or worse.

ReputationRep:
    You must be deluded if you think that the overwhelming people claiming any kind of benefits (pensioners) are people just lazing around scrounging off the state.

The numbers of JSs doing this will be absolutely ridiculously tiny. I say instead we crack down on white collar crime instead which is clearly more beneficial...

... or would it be too horrible to suggest a corporation could do any harm to society :OOO!

ReputationRep:
    There are more than twice as many unemployed people as there are available job vacancies, so even if we solve skills issues and get the lazy people(who are a minority of claimants) of their arses it still won't eliminate the need for a welfare state as things stand.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...overnment.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    You must be deluded if you think that the overwhelming people claiming any kind of benefits (pensioners) are people just lazing around scrounging off the state.

The numbers of JSs doing this will be absolutely ridiculously tiny. I say instead we crack down on white collar crime instead which is clearly more beneficial...

... or would it be too horrible to suggest a corporation could do any harm to society :OOO!
    ^^This.

70% of the welfare budget goes to pensioners who are exempt from any negative changes as they're more likely to vote Tory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    From where do you get the notion that we're not already in the world economy?
    we have a customs tariff, anyone with above 130 IQ would know that m8.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.