Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I really want to do Medicine, and I know work experience would look great. I want to do it at my local GP or at a care home, Hospital etc. How do I approach them, for exmample, my local GP. Do I email them or should i just talk to them in person?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm wanting to do medicine to but my GP said I couldn't do experience with him as it would be against the confidentiality of the patiences. I have done some in a pharmacy and I'm doing a week in a few weeks time in a residential home and also on a care home bank. In Scotland, you can get a form from the hospitals to apply to a placement but the waiting list is really long. When are you applying to medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia76)
    So I really want to do Medicine, and I know work experience would look great. I want to do it at my local GP or at a care home, Hospital etc. How do I approach them, for exmample, my local GP. Do I email them or should i just talk to them in person?
    I didn't know which forum to put it in, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_4342)
    Hi! I'm wanting to do medicine to but my GP said I couldn't do experience with him as it would be against the confidentiality of the patiences. I have done some in a pharmacy and I'm doing a week in a few weeks time in a residential home and also on a care home bank. In Scotland, you can get a form from the hospitals to apply to a placement but the waiting list is really long. When are you applying to medicine?
    Well i havent started A levels yet, i'm start it this September. Omg so its not possible to do work experience at your Gp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia76)
    Well i havent started A levels yet, i'm start it this September. Omg so its not possible to do work experience at your Gp?
    When are you applying? and btw do you think if i dont do any this year then it would be okay. Because if i dont do it this year then hopeully will do it at the end of year is taht okay.

ReputationRep:
    So is your A levels the ones you take at the end of your high school? Like do you do three of them? I'm just starting my Highers (I think they are the same level as your AS levels; I'm 16) Unless you get absolutely amazing results, you need to do a lot of WE; if you apply with non or a tiny amount, they possibly won't accept you. Unis like you to have experience to show that yoyu are interested and that you are well rounded. I need to start applying this next year once I receive my higher results and am starting my advanced Highers. Yeah, WE at the GP was a no go for me ://///

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing nursing at uni (i know it's not medicine) but I'm currently a volunteer within The Royal Voluntary Service where I go on the ward with elderly patients with dementia and those who are terminally ill twice a week and occasionally children wards (these are very difficult to get into) when I went to the training day last August I met a lot of people in my year (I've just finished A2's) who were applying to do medicine at university and when I see them on the ward, they said that the experience has really benefitted them when in interviews etc. I too for nursing has had that benefit from this onward experience.

I'd go on the RVS website, search for your local hospital and see what opportunities are avaiable (at my local hospital the only experience I could get was in the shop which is no good) so I looked around further afield and found a hospital 2 hours away, it's far to travel regularly for me but it has really benefitted both me and other medicine applicants.

The medicine students I spoke to said it was the best experience they did as like you said, they couldn't get experience at a GP surgery.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinN15)
    Hi, I'm doing nursing at uni (i know it's not medicine) but I'm currently a volunteer within The Royal Voluntary Service where I go on the ward with elderly patients with dementia and those who are terminally ill twice a week and occasionally children wards (these are very difficult to get into) when I went to the training day last August I met a lot of people in my year (I've just finished A2's) who were applying to do medicine at university and when I see them on the ward, they said that the experience has really benefitted them when in interviews etc. I too for nursing has had that benefit from this onward experience.

I'd go on the RVS website, search for your local hospital and see what opportunities are avaiable (at my local hospital the only experience I could get was in the shop which is no good) so I looked around further afield and found a hospital 2 hours away, it's far to travel regularly for me but it has really benefitted both me and other medicine applicants.

The medicine students I spoke to said it was the best experience they did as like you said, they couldn't get experience at a GP surgery.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is so helpful; thank you so much! Are you enjoying your nursing course? Is the academic standard suited to you or do you find it too easy/ too hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_4342)
    This is so helpful; thank you so much! Are you enjoying your nursing course? Is the academic standard suited to you or do you find it too easy/ too hard?
    Hi, so sorry for a late response I've not been able to access TSR lately it's not been working. I've not started nursing get, hopefully I'll be doing so in september if my A-levels results go the way I need them too aha. You're welcome though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can't do work experience at your own GP (I've asked) but email different parts of your local hospital. I emailed my hospital and got a reply from General Surgery (I have to call them to discuss but will be doing that later this summer as I presume they would be busy this summer). I emailed all local care homes and got a reply from one. I met with them and now I have to fill a DBS form thing. I also will volunteer with Age UK so try that out. You have to be persistent (I'm in the same situation as you).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.