Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time "hate speech" were included in our freedom or speech? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Often times people are accused of so called hate speech and are therefore barred from holding a talk at a university perhaps. But what is hate speech and who decides what falls under this category? Personally I think it is a ploy to silence those whose views may upset people...one such example of this would be the criticism of Islam or even Islamism. And surely freedom of speech should apply to all speech...

Please share your thoughts, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Constructive criticism is okay.
    Hate speech - if you have nothing nice to say for no good reason and with no good outcome, then keep your mouth barred.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, absolutely not. I do agree that there have been issues with censorship in universities but to go to the other extreme and allow all speech regardless of how hateful it is would be a terrible idea. Laws against hate speech exist for a reason, to protect people's right to feel safe.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're confusing us with the USA. Over there, you can pretty much say what you like under one of the amendments. However, in this country, speech is indeed quite limited (and for good reason, I'll add). "Freedom of speech" is limited depending on the country's laws.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it infringes the rights of others to safety and security, which should take precedent over your right to act on your desire to shame or intimidate them or the equivalent.

That being said, the ban on hate speech should not be abused by people crying wolf and calling everything that they don't like hate speech.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Personally, I think all speech should be allowed unless it directly threatens to kill or physically attack someone (I.e. you shouldn't be allowed to tell people to go kill some guy) or if it exposes someone's address or other private contact details.

ReputationRep:
    People should be allowed to say what ever they want unless they are inciting violence.

And, that's where we should draw the line. Criticism of a religious ideology shouldn't warrant any form of criminal punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorpusLuteum)
    Hate speech - if you have nothing nice to say for no good reason and with no good outcome, then keep your mouth barred.
    I think you'll enjoy life in North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorpusLuteum)
    So we should put feelings above truth? Because sometimes the truth hurts.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    No, absolutely not. I do agree that there have been issues with censorship in universities but to go to the other extreme and allow all speech regardless of how hateful it is would be a terrible idea. Laws against hate speech exist for a reason, to protect people's right to feel safe.
    Yes, but who then decides what is hate speech and what is not? Because like you said people are being censored, because apparently their speech is hateful...but what is hateful? I mean, I might hold some views on Islam (I must emphasise Islam and not muslims) that could be called hateful, so I should not be allowed to say them?

And in life people will say and do all sorts of bad things to you, and saying something doesn't mean it will result in a (negative) action. Why must we baby people?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm half serious and half playing devil's advocate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.Nietzsche)
    So we should put feelings above truth? Because sometimes the truth hurts.
    What truth? What truth is there in this world that means we have to incite so much rage within our fellow man that they feel the need to go an kill or harm the people who are the speakers enemy?

ReputationRep:
    I Was thinking about this yesterday. It's a toughie, obviously you get left wing morons than ban feminists at universities for being "islamiphobic" but you also get the nutty alt right who think it's fine to harass and make monkey noises at black people on Twitter...I think the line is about attacking ideas and not individuals,

ReputationRep:
    yes - why shouldn't we have the right to hate, or express hate? why shouldn't people have the right to their emotions?
    for example: I hate the government. **** the government. am I allowed to say that? yes? so why can't I say that about anybody or anything?

ReputationRep:
    People can't be trusted with true free speech. Last time anyone had that they decided the Jews caused all the problems in the world. They destroyed their shops and then voted in a government that tried to systematically exterminate them. People are too stupid for free speech, it's dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely yes! Truth > feelings, if people can't cope with it then that's their problem and it should never become a legal issue. The thought police need to be disbanded ASAP, otherwise the modern world's just going to crumble. Progress relies on unrestricted speech, where do you think we'd be now if Galileo hadn't spoken out about the incorrectness of the religious geocentric model of the universe, and others hadn't spoken out about their "blasphemous" and/or "insulting" ideas? We'd still be in the dark ages!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there is a loophole you can exploit to get almost free speech. Unfortunately it's not totally free but this is the best you can get at present: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post66437218

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Absolutely yes! Truth > feelings, if people can't cope with it then that's their problem and it should never become a legal issue. The thought police need to be disbanded ASAP, otherwise the modern world's just going to crumble. Progress relies on unrestricted speech, where do you think we'd be now if Galileo hadn't spoken out about the incorrectness of the religious geocentric model of the universe, and others hadn't spoken out about their "blasphemous" and/or "insulting" ideas? We'd still be in the dark ages!
    Truth is heavily subjective. Some people think the truth is that all of Islam is responsible for terrorism, and therefore could encourage unjust violence/stigmatisation (even more than that which already exists) for muslims. Of course, this is not the truth, as terrorists come in many forms, but with completely free speech the jeopardy of the people's safety is infinitely possible.

I do however agree that we need to make some modern world progress, though not through letting anyone say anything. You have to filter out the impurities to make gold.

ReputationRep:
    People should be able to say whatever they want, and people should be able to respond with speech back. Connotation should be taken into account, but the speech itself shouldn't be in any way restricted.

(Original post by JordanL_)
    People can't be trusted with true free speech. Last time anyone had that they decided the Jews caused all the problems in the world. They destroyed their shops and then voted in a government that tried to systematically exterminate them. People are too stupid for free speech, it's dangerous.
    Words != Action

(Original post by WBZ144)
    No, because it infringes the rights of others to safety and security, which should take precedent over your right to act on your desire to shame or intimidate them or the equivalent.

That being said, the ban on hate speech should not be abused by people crying wolf and calling everything that they don't like hate speech.
    How does me saying something hurt you in any way unless I am literally yelling in your ear? Feelings don't count.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    You realise that by suppressing speech you're literally making things more dangerous? If people cannot express themselves it builds up and it becomes action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCal)
    Truth is heavily subjective. Some people think the truth is that all of Islam is responsible for terrorism, and therefore could encourage unjust violence/stigmatisation (even more than that which already exists) for muslims. Of course, this is not the truth, as terrorists come in many forms, but with completely free speech the jeopardy of the people's safety is infinitely possible.

I do however agree that we need to make some modern world progress, though not through letting anyone say anything. You have to filter out the impurities to make gold.
    Ah don't worry about that. The verse I quoted prevents people using the loophole from saying things like "kill all of X" because such speech isn't protected by the verse and therefore by the equality act. It permits everything except for the encouragement of violence. By "truth" the verse is referring to what you perceive to be true, in other words as long as you're not lying then it's acceptable. Someone could say "all muslims are terrorists" and because they think it's true, they're still protected by the law. They could even go as far as saying things like "all X are sh*theads," they'd still be protected. While traditional Buddhist sects frown on abusive speech, my sect doesn't. Atumic Buddhism is really relaxed on "right speech" because attaining Nibbanna isn't the main goal. I wouldn't recommend taking that risk though because my sect is more of a micro-sect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCal)
    Truth is heavily subjective
    What. I have read your entire post, and I still cannot wrap my head around this. It is possible for people to be incorrect on some things, and there are things with no truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I Was thinking about this yesterday. It's a toughie, obviously you get left wing morons than ban feminists at universities for being "islamiphobic" but you also get the nutty alt right who think it's fine to harass and make monkey noises at black people on Twitter...I think the line is about attacking ideas and not individuals,
    I think I've seen that tweet/video. You make it sound funny but that video was actually so sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    You know, you can log off of twitter. You can walk away from a conversation, and if they keep trying it on you can get them for harassment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.