The Student Room Group

civil engineering or electrical engineering ?

I would like to pursue either electrical or civil engineering, I would like a high chance of getting a job as I am not the most confident person i the world so the higher rate of jobs in either sector will be a factor to consider(Im bad a job interviews), also I know that I enjoy working with technical drawings, 3D and 2D designs, plan drawing and the math side of the job but I would prefer not to be stuck inside of the same 4 walled building for the next 50 years, any advice on which degree (electrical or civil) would be the choice for me ?
Original post by McGowan123
I would like to pursue either electrical or civil engineering, I would like a high chance of getting a job as I am not the most confident person i the world so the higher rate of jobs in either sector will be a factor to consider(Im bad a job interviews), also I know that I enjoy working with technical drawings, 3D and 2D designs, plan drawing and the math side of the job but I would prefer not to be stuck inside of the same 4 walled building for the next 50 years, any advice on which degree (electrical or civil) would be the choice for me ?

I've moved this to the Engineering university forum so you can hopefully get more replies to your thread. Good luck in choosing. :smile:
any advice on which degree (electrical or civil) would be the choice for me ?

Hey there! And thanks Black Rose for moving the thread here.

So, the first thing you should focus on is which degree interests you more. The majority of engineering degrees will land you fairly comfortably in a job, and electrical and civil both seem to be areas where there are plenty of jobs. There's always new infrastructure, project planning, management, etc, to be put into place.

Both courses can deal a lot with building services and infrastructure but will deal with largely different concepts. For example, civil will deal a lot with soil mechanics, structural analysis, design. Electrical, on the other hand, can look into circuitry, systems, control, and so on. If you enjoy design, and working with modelling, then civil would suit you well.

Any degree can stick you inside of the same office for 50 years, but any degree can move you around a lot or give you plenty of variety. It all comes down to finding the right place for you upon graduating.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3

Sounds like civil engineering suits you perfectly. Lots of civil engineers have on field work regularly. Whether that's a good thing is up to you.
Reply 4
Thank You both, do you know if there are civil engineering careers that are well paid but are not management, as I am a worker through and through this is where I shine over other candidates so a job that still requires me to work hard myself would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest