Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The A levels I'm definitely doing next year are French, economics and maths, but I'm torn between history and Spanish for my fourth option. On the one hand, history is a well-regarded A level, and is essay based, which appeals to universities and employers. However, it doesn't seem very 'useful' - I know history is very interesting, improves writing skills and 'history repeats itself' etc so is useful in that sense, but it seems far less useful when compared to taking Spanish, which would enable me to speak one of the most widely spoken languages in the world better. However, I also know that taking Spanish A level for two years wouldn't make me fluent in the way that actually going and living in Spain would, therefore if I wanted to be able to speak Spanish, I could always do that later on in life. In terms of career choices for the future, I am undecided; I love languages, but don't want to be a translator, but am also interested in politics and law( and possibly being a solicitor). I also don't want to go to Oxbridge, but still a well-ranked university, so would taking history give me a better chance in that sense?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do history it is an amazing a level, and everyone is capable.

Also you already have french, you should be asking french or spanish.

Do history and learn spanish as a hobby

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest taking History. You've already got French, and unless you want to do a language degree, I doubt taking Spanish as well would give you much of an advantage. History is a well respected subject, and would be good preparation for a law/politics degree

ReputationRep:
    History. Don't even need to read the post to know.

History is brilliant
    Spoiler:
    Show
    She says whilst procrastinating from coursework :sad:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Seriously though history is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Do history you already got french so don't see the point of having 2 languages. You can always learn Spanish as a hobby, for example I'm teaching myself japanese

ReputationRep:
    I chose Spanish over geography and don't regret it one bit. It's an easy A level (if you did well at GCSE you're pretty much guaranteed a good grade at a level). Especially as you have the French to back it up. I know a lot of people that did well at history GCSE and struggled at a level. It's a lot of work and Spanish is just as respected.

But on the other hand, not sure if having two languages is twice as good as one, I only had the opportunity to do one language myself. Depends where you want to go, I guess.

Will add that at my interviews for Chemistry with year abroad at unis, the conversation for Imperial, Bristol and Manchester focused mostly on my Spanish and year abroad because its more interesting than Chemistry to talk about to real people. I love chemistry, but even chemists seemed more interested in the languages because they're different

ReputationRep:
    I do History and Spanish, and I did another language at AS also. I am not entirely sure what I'd recommend... I love both subjects. History is harder (for me), but it is true that it might serve me better applying for Law (I am in such a similar position, just one year later!). Both subjects are, however, respected and "facilitating subjects". I think I would recommend that you do your favourite, as it is crucial that you like your A Level subjects.

History is a lot of essay writing and a LOT of content, and Spanish is meanwhile quite a lot of vocab and grammar. Balancing the two languages is all right. In terms of university applications, the combination of History and French is probably a good spread, but ultimately it should be the subject you want to do. But even if you do decide against A Level Spanish and you decide to do languages, there will probably be some option with it at university.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is probably a little bit more useful than history as having foreign-language skills is regarded as being v employable and it gives you the essay skills that history does as well. If you really love history tho, you already have French so go for history

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.