The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiet_Male
I know Bristol/Nott are fairly on-par as Semi-Targets for Econ.

How does KCL compare to these 2? I've got offers from all 3 and am probably looking at a Warwick/UCL rejection.

slightly below but advantage is in the proximity to the city. saves you Ps if you want to have a few coffee chats with bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know if UCL Arts and Sciences (Taking economics options with my major) is actually good for getting into finance? I know the university is generally more important.
Original post by Percypig17
Anyone know if UCL Arts and Sciences (Taking economics options with my major) is actually good for getting into finance? I know the university is generally more important.

doesn't matter what degree you're doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Percypig17

UCL is a target so you'll get in, doesn't matter what degree you do
Original post by biglad2k16
UCL is a target so you'll get in, doesn't matter what degree you do

'you'll get in' is a bit strong... the odds are still low from a target remember, just not as low as if it weren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
'you'll get in' is a bit strong... the odds are still low from a target remember, just not as low as if it weren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you right
Nothing is good enough. Just hang yourself.
How is Cass (Investment and Financial Risk Management) standing compared to Warwick and Bristol (Econ)? I realise that some people here state that the degree doesn't matter but I can't really imagine, for example, a history grad surviving in IB for too long.
Original post by Wienerwald
How is Cass (Investment and Financial Risk Management) standing compared to Warwick and Bristol (Econ)? I realise that some people here state that the degree doesn't matter but I can't really imagine, for example, a history grad surviving in IB for too long.

1) warwick
2) bristol & cass

pretty much that. they have training schemes which will teach you all you need to know, IBD isn't that intellectually challenging. anyone with gcse maths, common sense and the right attitude could do it. but for IBD for cass would select the banking & int finance course, unless you like doing quantitative stuff.

Nah the best course for IB is https://www.rau.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-bloodstock-and-performance-horse-management

Yes, this is it. Truly invaluable information.
I'm holding offers from

CASS - Accounting and Finance
QUEEN MARY - Accounting and Management

I want to work in the financial sector, Asset Management, Investment Banking.

Cass more well known with banks.

QMUL is a Russel Group and regarded as more prestigious.

Which one should I choose?
Reply 192
Original post by SherJav
I'm holding offers from

Cass is much better for banking. It's more prestigious as well
Original post by SherJav
I'm holding offers from

cass, what definition of prestige is being applied here?
Original post by SherJav
I'm holding offers from

Cass is definitely not less prestigious than QMUL especially in terms of IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
1) warwick
2) bristol & cass

pretty much that. they have training schemes which will teach you all you need to know, IBD isn't that intellectually challenging. anyone with gcse maths, common sense and the right attitude could do it. but for IBD for cass would select the banking & int finance course, unless you like doing quantitative stuff.

im not applying for IBD, but wouldnt they ask a lot of technical questions during interviews and/or assessment centres? LBO, corporate valuation related, etc. american IBD boards/forums/websites like wallstreetoasis seem to be preaching a totally different IB than british sites/forums. according to them, only quants need apply....
Original post by takasar
im not applying for IBD, but wouldnt they ask a lot of technical questions during interviews and/or assessment centres? LBO, corporate valuation related, etc. american IBD boards/forums/websites like wallstreetoasis seem to be preaching a totally different IB than british sites/forums. according to them, only quants need apply....

I second that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I second that.

part 1 or part 2?
Original post by takasar
part 1 or part 2?

The technical stuff. When it comes to Wall Streeters saying that only quants have a shot - that's not really the case. Being a frequent reader of Wallstreetoasis myself, I would rather say that anyone from a good Uni can apply and get the job provided they know the technicals and are 'good fit'.
The technical stuff. When it comes to Wall Streeters saying that only quants have a shot - that's not really the case. Being a frequent reader of Wallstreetoasis myself, I would rather say that anyone from a good Uni can apply and get the job provided they know the technicals and are 'good fit'.

is it more a case of learning the technical aspects yourself rather than doing a quantitative degree where you are taught it (finance/econ)? because i know politics majors who get offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending