The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Which should I be looking to firm for best prospects
Warwick or UCL
Original post by Youngkeynes
Warwick or UCL

It 100% does not make a difference between these two, which has been said at least 68479964 times.

Are you comfortable paying London prices or not? Do you want a campus or a city? That's what should be going through your mind atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Warwick or UCL

UCL
Original post by h3110
UCL

Why ?
Original post by Princepieman
It 100% does not make a difference between these two, which has been said at least 68479964 times.

Are you comfortable paying London prices or not? Do you want a campus or a city? That's what should be going through your mind atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh but surely one must give you the edge no?
Oh but surely one must give you the edge no?

Nope, that would go to other criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick or UCL

same ****, personally would go with ucl if confronted with the choice due to proximity to the city.. who wants to live in the countryside/covenrty right
Can backup gr8wizard10 on the statement. Currently at Warwick aka Campus lifestyle. Coventry is utter dead, Leamington is okayish, however it will get dry and mundane after living there for a couple of months. If money allows, London is the most obvious choice!!! Otherwise stick to Warwick, because if you're low on $$, life in London is going to suck.

P.S I spend my weekends in London, thats how much I want to escape the bubble
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by glebp
Can backup gr8wizard10 on the statement. Currently at Warwick aka Campus lifestyle. Coventry is utter dead, Leamington is okayish, however it will get dry and mundane after living there for a couple of months. If money allows, London is the most obvious choice!!! Otherwise stick to Warwick, because if you're low on $$, life in London is going to suck.

P.S I spend my weekends in London, thats how much I want to escape the bubble

for someone who moved out to halls in london, even london was boring. spent every weekend at my parents house. living out is just dead.

hope to not get kicked out and live at home for a few years post-graduation as well.
Original post by gr8wizard10
for someone who moved out to halls in london, even london was boring. spent every weekend at my parents house. living out is just dead.

hope to not get kicked out and live at home for a few years post-graduation as well.

if a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
You're tired of life then
Original post by biglad2k16
The banks are hiring traders but very few. It's mostly algo traders and quants that they're hiring from now on.If you like th markets. I would recommend doing something like asset management in fixed income or do FICC strategy but that might also be replaced by algo so you never know. I would stay away from the markets side if I were you, go for IBD as that's a human business.

i see. lol i don't i'm quant enough to do algo trading but i'll look in to asset management. What is ficc strategy? is that similar to quant?
Original post by MartinF98
i see. lol i don't i'm quant enough to do algo trading but i'll look in to asset management. What is ficc strategy? is that similar to quant?

as someone who's done ficc strat, msot the people on my desk were from a maths/engineering/finance background.. it's essentially a research role for macro securities (swaps/linkers/forwards), we don't sit around coming up with formulas lke quants, but essentially we advised clients on how to trade and what the trading environment (spreads etc..) will look like under our scenarios.
Warwick or UCL

UCL closer for networking events, but the difference is still negligible.
as someone who's done ficc strat, msot the people on my desk were from a maths/engineering/finance background.. it's essentially a research role for macro securities (swaps/linkers/forwards), we don't sit around coming up with formulas lke quants, but essentially we advised clients on how to trade and what the trading environment (spreads etc..) will look like under our scenarios.

That seems cool, so do you do research on a daily basis or for a whole week, month , year, like the long term or is it short term
Original post by MartinF98
That seems cool, so do you do research on a daily basis or for a whole week, month , year, like the long term or is it short term

we put out reports of varying lengths. depends on what products are being covered and what our clients request. we have daily, weekly, monthly, bi-annual reports and other bits and bobs the strategists work on that may be useful to our clients. we work closely with our economists, in fact they sit just behind us.

any major trends we also cover, and we speak to the traders and salespeople to give our strategic insights to them.

Smart man, live at home, save £0000's on rent.
Hi. I have an offer from Warwick to study History, waiting on an offer from UCL. I've read it doesn't make a shred of a difference between which one I go to, so my question is: Which areas of investment banking can I go into with a History degree?
Original post by Sycatonne23
Hi. I have an offer from Warwick to study History, waiting on an offer from UCL. I've read it doesn't make a shred of a difference between which one I go to, so my question is: Which areas of investment banking can I go into with a History degree?

Anything that isn't highly mathematical which is 95%+ of most jobs in the industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Anything that isn't highly mathematical which is 95%+ of most jobs in the industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Can you give me some examples? Also, do you think it would boost my prospects by a lot if I went ahead and did some internships or does this have minimal affect?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending