Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Mum and Dad refer to my potential partners as male. Do they know I'm Gay? Watch

So I've known I was gay since I was about 14. I'm now 20. I am in my Second year of University. I've never come out to anyone, not even close friends and as I'm fairly masculine, none of my Uni friends or friends from home suspect I'm Gay.

However, my parents started changing from asking if I had a girlfriend to asking if I'd met 'someone' when I turned 16 and when I came back from Uni this week they ask me if I had met a boyfriend at Uni. I just said I'd not met anyone and the guy in my profile pic is just a friend (he is just a friend). They then said well if it turns into anything more we would love to meet him.

They had friends over and they said I was enjoying being single but might meet a guy at Uni.

I'm guessing this means they know I'm Gay? Do I even need to come out now? Or are they just joking with me? I have no idea how they would know I was Gay as I've told no one.

ReputationRep:
    They think your gay, so not really.

Doesn't really matter if you 'come out' to them or not since they clearly don't see it as an issue. In fact them asking if you have a boyfriend seems they're implying they support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Or are they just joking with me?
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    They most likely do

ReputationRep:
    What, so there can't be female guys now? this is sexist!

ReputationRep:
    They obv know but the question is...

How?!? Dun dun duhh.

Seriously though this is intriguing. Are you camp? Do you have just pics of you and the guy you're with at uni on Facebook i.e is it obvious you spend most of your time with him?

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda obvious when you're a young child kinda too young to remember, perhaps having a barbie doll rather than action man or pushing a pram around instead of playing football with the other guys? Or perhaps you accidentally said something that made them realise IDK what but e.g. if they were talking about girls and you pulled a face etc. or blanked it too far? And TBH it could be worse imagine if your parents were homophobes. I'd stop bothering to hide it and try and find yourself a guy before all the good ones are gone

Haha thanks guys. I'm not camp at all in mannerisms. I do find myself looking at guys subconsciously. Once a hot guy sat at a restaurant next to me and my Mum took a pic of him jokingly saying she will print it out for me!

I've never had a boyfriend though. I guess they've picked up on little things over the years.

ReputationRep:
    So I've known I was gay since I was about 14. I'm now 20. I am in my Second year of University. I've never come out to anyone, not even close friends and as I'm fairly masculine, none of my Uni friends or friends from home suspect I'm Gay.

However, my parents started changing from asking if I had a girlfriend to asking if I'd met 'someone' when I turned 16 and when I came back from Uni this week they ask me if I had met a boyfriend at Uni. I just said I'd not met anyone and the guy in my profile pic is just a friend (he is just a friend). They then said well if it turns into anything more we would love to meet him.

They had friends over and they said I was enjoying being single but might meet a guy at Uni.

I'm guessing this means they know I'm Gay? Do I even need to come out now? Or are they just joking with me? I have no idea how they would know I was Gay as I've told no one.

They obviously think you're gay. You have lived in same house as them for 18 years, so at some point not surprising they would have picked up on it.

Just be glad they seem cool with it. A lot of parents would not be happy if they found their kids were gay.

ReputationRep:
    You should be happy that they know about you and you won't need to tell them anything I wonder if my mum still remembers or she already forgot what I told her :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how you act. Do you have feminin mannerisms? Then they can probably figure out you're gay.

ReputationRep:

Lol yes parents know if you dont talk about the opposite sex / bring them home in your teenagers years...
    My mom did the same thing. Before I went off to uni we had a convo which went like this

Mom: Are there old people at university?
    Me: There's people of all ages
    Mom. Even 50 year olds??
    Me: Yeah sure
    Mom: Please dont get with an old woman!

Then when I came back for xmas break

My aunt: I am disappointed, I thought you'd bring a boyfriend home. Next time you have to bring a boyfriend
    Mom: Or a girlfriend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.