Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently planning on applying for an economics related undergraduate degree in 2017. As of right now, I've decided that I want to apply to these two following universities for their respective courses:
    1) Oxford: Economics & Management
    2) Warwick: Economics and Industrial Organisation

I've got three options left that I could potentially apply to however i'm not sure which universities I should consider adding to my list.

Initially I was considering LSE (for either economics or finance) but now I am uncertain as to whether I should apply to either one as, from my understanding, a pure economics degree would limit the job opportunities available (planning on pursuing something in consultancy/finance/etc... and not becoming an economist or teacher) and I believe that a pure finance degree would narrow down my job opportunities in case I have a change of heart in the upcoming years.

Anyhow, to my main question, how would you rank the following university courses in terms of prestigiousness (overall reputation, quality of teaching, etc...) and why:
    1) UCL: Economics
    2) Bath: Economics with Placement
    3) Bristol: Economics and Finance
    4) Durham: Economics with Business Placement
    5) KCL: Economics or Economics and Management
    6) Exeter: Economics and Finance with Industrial Experience
    7) Queen Mary: Economics and Finance with a Year In Industry
    8) Nottingham: Economics

Thank you for your time!

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of Queen Mary, they are all good. One comment about Durham. It is a top universities, though not really known for Economics or Finance.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to this site. It will answer a lot of your question.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ansmyq)
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently planning on applying for an economics related undergraduate degree in 2017. As of right now, I've decided that I want to apply to these two following universities for their respective courses:
    1) Oxford: Economics & Management
    2) Warwick: Economics and Industrial Organisation

I've got three options left that I could potentially apply to however i'm not sure which universities I should consider adding to my list.

Initially I was considering LSE (for either economics or finance) but now I am uncertain as to whether I should apply to either one as, from my understanding, a pure economics degree would limit the job opportunities available (planning on pursuing something in consultancy/finance/etc... and not becoming an economist or teacher) and I believe that a pure finance degree would narrow down my job opportunities in case I have a change of heart in the upcoming years.

Anyhow, to my main question, how would you rank the following university courses in terms of prestigiousness (overall reputation, quality of teaching, etc...) and why:
    1) UCL: Economics
    2) Bath: Economics with Placement
    3) Bristol: Economics and Finance
    4) Durham: Economics with Business Placement
    5) KCL: Economics or Economics and Management
    6) Exeter: Economics and Finance with Industrial Experience
    7) Queen Mary: Economics and Finance with a Year In Industry
    8) Nottingham: Economics

Thank you for your time!
    Any of these (excl. QMUL) will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glenbard)
    With the exception of Queen Mary, they are all good. One comment about Durham. It is a top universities, though not really known for Economics or Finance.
    Really? I thought it was because it's in the top 10 for economics in both the guardian's league table as well as the complete university guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    Just go to this site. It will answer a lot of your question.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings
    Would you consider this a more reliable resource than the guardian's league table?

ReputationRep:
    UCL -> Bath/Durham -> The rest, just my opinion
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Really? I thought it was because it's in the top 10 for economics in both the guardian's league table as well as the complete university guide
    The guardian table is a shambles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider this a more reliable resource than the guardian's league table?
    yes I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HangeeTw)
    UCL -> Bath/Durham -> The rest, just my opinion
    any reason for that?
    also, would employers look down on bath in comparison to russell group universities or is that not the case with it as its got a well established reputation?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    any reason for that?
    also, would employers look down on bath in comparison to russell group universities or is that not the case with it as its got a well established reputation?
    No. UCL just sends more people into finance on average and gets more attention. Bath is a very strong contender and would never be looked down upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE economics will not limit any job opportunities at all, it will only open new ones. Economics has a lot of transferable skills and you can still go into a number of fields with an econ degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    LSE economics will not limit any job opportunities at all, it will only open new ones. Economics has a lot of transferable skills and you can still go into a number of fields with an econ degree.
    good to hear, thanks for your input!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.