Turn on thread page Beta

Owen Smith wants 50/50 gender cabinet split watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7152081.html

Before I say anything, I'm all for equality. I'm all for treating any person the same as the next along, especially in the case of gender. I'm also a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn.

This isn't equality. This is picking people based off of their gender. You can call for a gender split like this as a great step for equality, but you fail to consider the fact that ensuring half of Labour MPs are female means some male candidates may be left out despite being better than female candidates.

It's just like the Canadian PM (https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...justin-trudeau) ensuring his cabinet has 15 male people and 15 female people, all ethnically diverse. With the reasoning 'because it's 2015' (this was last year). This plainly, is not gender equality, why do we have people in politics triyng to promote a 50/50 gender split in things when it plainly isn't fair on others.

Sorry if I haven't said anything clearly, I'm pretty tired but I wanted to post this before I forgot about it tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    And I thought Corbyn was the progressive liberal?

lol Corbyn will win the leadership again!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Can't help but see the contrast that labour keeps whining about equality in cabinet, yet the tories keep doing it without a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bahahahahahhahaha " equality ", if its such equality then why not give guys and girls fair chance? If 43% of your MPs are female, why give 50% isn't that discrimination to the 6% extra of males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Bahahahahahhahaha " equality ", if its such equality then why not give guys and girls fair chance? If 43% of your MPs are female, why give 50% isn't that discrimination to the 6% extra of males.
    Exactly. It's a disguise to people that he's for equality.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand Labour's notions of token equality. Why can't they promote MPs by merit rather than by what genitalia MP's have between their legs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The cabinet should be based on the strenghts of each individual... if it is made up of 100% women, so be it and vice versa. Just splitting it for the sake of it would be a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. Well done Smith, just keep shooting yourself in the foot.

I don't understand why Smith is the only one standing against Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Can't help but see the contrast that labour keeps whining about equality in cabinet, yet the tories keep doing it without a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I can't stand Labour's notions of token equality. Why can't they promote MPs by merit rather than by what genitalia MP's have between their legs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just going to mention that this is one politician who has suggested this (well, two if you count my other example, I've not found any others), this doesn't mean the entire Labour party is for gender inequality like this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    7 out of 24 cabinet members are women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The trouble is that it seems they do- favouring men.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Fair enough it's not half but at least you can be sure each of them got their on merit not their gender.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Just going to mention that this is one politician who has suggested this (well, two if you count my other example, I've not found any others), this doesn't mean the entire Labour party is for gender inequality like this.
    This version of distorted progressive politics isn't just one (now important) member of the Labour Party.

Angela Eagle in her short leadership campaign emphasised how it was time for a 'women labour leader', as if she was entitled to the post because of her gender. Liz Kendall and Yvette Cooper in 2015 again emphasised that it should be a female leader - not because of solely because of their talent. Then we have Corbyn's (attempt) at creating a gender balanced cabinet, Tessa Jowell claiming that if women were in charge at the time of the banking crisis then there wouldn't be a banking crisis, and also the wide use of all gender short lists in nominating candidates for elections.

Let's also not forget that these senior members have their own supporters, who would also in theory support this token equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Which makes sense really given that men are more likely to get into politics and all the other correlatory things that explain why there are less successful women MPs than male.

I really think it's quite telling that both our female prime ministers have been conservative while labour and liberals faff about with their PC nonsense and can't even elect a female party leader...

ReputationRep:
    What some people fail to realise is that Corbyn has already had a 50% split of men/women in his cabinet, and Owen is touting this idea as if it is something new and more 'progressive' than what Corbyn is offering. Likely this is less known due to the misinformation and vitriol that is reported in the main stream media (if you could even call it reporting).

Whether or not it's a good idea to have an even gender split in the cabinet is beside the point; the fact is is that Owen is using 'gender equality' as a political football that he can score points with. He was a professional lobbyist for many years after all, so spin is what he excels at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The trouble is that it seems they do- favouring men.
    Historically men have dominated politics, having consistently had more MPs in parliament than female MPs. It therefore makes sense that the male MPs (on average) have more experience than the female ones - and hence in a system that wants to optimise how well a Cabinet operates there will be a gender imbalance, assuming more experience in an area leads to greater performance in that area.

However, female MPs have increased in the last decade or so, and therefore it makes sense that the Cabinet will have a higher proportion of women it it. For anyone to imply that women are somehow held back by a glass ceiling of sexist MPs is nonsense - it is a systemic problem that is being dealt with slowly and in the right manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sigh

Why does everything have to be 'equality' and 'gender split'. Labour brought in all this diversity rubbish. I think this earns Owen the title of idiot. Got any real proposals? You know like, for improving education, healthcare or reducing red tape?

NOPE! But my cabinet will be 50/50 gender split! Even if 3 of them are completely hopeless at their jobs just to make numbers up! As if this is a reason to vote for someone....

Now we have forced descrimination and unless you abide by it, you can be punished. People are now chosen based on their gender or race to fulfil quotas, rather than their achievement and merit.

I'm sure there was some descrimination before all this PC crap came about, but now there is a system and it's encouraged under the guise of 'positive descrimination'.

ReputationRep:
    The Labour Party is such an embarrassment, until they realise that Iraq War aside the Blair era was probably the greatest period of modern British politics they will get utterly humiliated at every election, even by a mediocre Conservative Party.

ReputationRep:
    The point of equality (in any means, gender, sex, race, sexual orientation) is that people are provided with equal consideration and are not discriminated because of their race. This is discrimination, and, IMO, politicians trying to get away with this disguise should be fined (or at the very least, told not to do so) as they are not providing equal opportunities to their cabinet, regardless of their gender.

ReputationRep:
    Well it wouldn't be the Labour Party without such identity politics BS...............

(Original post by Atlas Thugged)
    The Labour Party is such an embarrassment, until they realise that Iraq War aside the Blair era was probably the greatest period of modern British politics they will get utterly humiliated at every election, even by a mediocre Conservative Party.
    Also, this. Though it's only relative, mind, since there were a hell of a lot of faults (the long-term effect of putting so many people into the welfare trap and simultaneously undercutting them has been devastating. However this doesn't matter for Labour since most of these Corbynista types want even more of that so it's by the by). But yeah, the Blair years were great for the country for the most part. It shows how unhinged these people like Momentum types are when they say - with a straight face - that the country wants more leftism than what we had with Blair. Apparently lifting over a million out of poverty, pumping bottomless pits of money into the NHS, initiatives like Sure Start and the Future Jobs Fund, the minimum wage etc etc are Tory policies and the Labour Party which brought them in were too right-wing for the people and they should separate themselves from all that. And they wonder why Labour are now seen nation-wide as an un-electable joke..............

But yeah, we see with candidates like Angela Eagle, Corbyn and Smith (and before with Ed Milliband) that being hopeless and saying the most stupid things imaginable is a prerequisite for Labour leadership at the moment. Potentially popular and rational people like Hillary Benn and Liz Kendall are made outcasts. Urgh. Bring in David Milliband purge these destructive charlatans and give yourself a chance to get the Tories out of power. If you carry on with these Corbyn BS, don't complaint about Tory policies, You're ensuring the country is stuck with them,

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.