Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm due to start studying Psychology this sep/oct and I was wondering whether I should read anything or prepare in any way before I go, considering that I have never studied the subject before. I've done A Level Sociology and Biology which are kind of linked, aswell as History and French - and Chemistry for AS. I've never really studied in between GCSEs/AS levels, and coped ok, but I think the standard of work at uni will be much higher. Should I read any introductory books and does any one know roughly what proportion of Psychology undergraduates have never studied it before?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    STATS! I don't think you need to do any prep other than stats, personally. The first term will just be going over a level stuff anyway. But yeah, I found that not knowing basic stats made my life a bit harder . I think there are 'stats for psychologists' books around, but don't know how useful they are.

ReputationRep:
    Ama, I e-mailed Bath and they told me the two books they use primarily are:

"Psychology" (ISBN 1405824751) by G. Neil Martin, Neil R. Carlson and William Buskist (2005) European Edition (2nd Edition revised) Prentice Hall

"Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology" by Coolican, H. (2002) Hodder and Stoughton

The Research Methods and Statistics book by Coolican is very good. I used it for my International Baccalaureate course. I strongly suggest you start by having a look at that book. Should give you a nice head-start as far as understanding some practical work in psychology.

As for the other book, I have never used it so I cannot say much about it, but most intro psychology books are the same, so not too worried there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go controversial and say that personally I think you should enjoy your summer and not read anything
    Lots of people apply for the course without having done it at A Level, and if you've done the coursework for A Level Biology you'll have an idea of one or two types of test that are commonly used in Psych research. You won't be at a disadvantage, as A Level Psych is nothing like a degree course anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I think it might also depend on where you're doing it tbh. I know at my uni I would not have liked to be going into it without any prior knowledge!! Not because they assumed you knew it already, but they often refer to 'blah blah blah like Pavlov did blah blah' so a bit of background reading could be useful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 14, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.