Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If this ever get found and read by someone. Please note that I am not an expert. I don’t claim to know all the answers to life and its troubles. I am basically a one person in the 7 billion people world sharing their story in hopes that what I have learned would help at least one person. It sounds sort of cheesy, but it true.
    I have always considered myself to suffer from anxiety. Social anxiety, fear, depression etc. I believed that I had the symptoms of every mental condition that screws with your head and stops you from achieving the things you want to do. I have seen and met many people who I believe were in the same situation. Some people find empowering “you can do it!” speeches work and motivates them to leave that rut. Others turn to medication. Personally I don’t believe that this is a helpful solution. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of evidence based medicine out there which have proven the theories that it works. But I see this solution like this metaphor: let’s say a pipe burst and water spills everywhere as a result. Instead of attending to the damaged pipe, you decided to place a bucket in front of the spewing water. Replacing the bucket each time it fills up. In the case the bucket represents the medication and the water the mental issue. The medication works to fix the issue but only temporarily. The main problem still exists.
    I have seen people that don’t pity those in my position. They feel as though we are doing this on purpose. We are really stupid because we have the tools in front of us but do nothing about it. Yes, we have the tools and means to do whatever we want to but we can’t. I can’t sometimes. Mental issue in my opinions is the worst sickness you can ever have. And to blame the individual is just wrong…to an extent. Let me explain. In most cases there is an underlining reason why people allow themselves to sink into this feeling. In my case it was fear of failure. If I never try I never fail. Simple as. Fear of something bad occurring, if I was never there it can never happen. “I’m just gonna stay in my little bubble and protect myself from the harsh reality of life”. I waited for people to come save me. To show me the way and guide me down the right path so I don’t have to look for it myself. But after years of waiting I realised that no one is going to do that for me. I have to do it myself.
    Staying in that bubble helps you but it also destroys you. It saves you but also breaks you by not allowing you to do what makes you happy. This is not an inspirational speech, it a reality check. If you don’t do the things that make you happy you’re going to regret it. Your bubble may protect from the fear of failure but guess what? By staying in there you are guaranteed to fail. At least when you step out you have a chance of success. But you have to work hard to get it!
    I want you to imagine you had a magic wand. Now, dream up your perfect life (and be realistic. No point in saying I want a billion dollar next week). Anything at all that you want put in that dream and be as detailed as you can. Seems scary, huh? To even imagine it. But you can achieve it. Nothing in this world can’t be gotten by hard work. Work hard. Look at your dream life and look at your life now, and think of the steps you need to get from A to B. Then go for it! It is as simple as that. It’s actually not as complicated as your mind makes it out to be (trust me, I know how screwed up things can get in there)
    Whenever you feel down recall that dream life and continue to work hard again. Lastly (as this is a long ass statement) be sure to enjoy the journey. No need to punish yourself, enjoy yourself but do it cautiously- suffer now, to enjoy later 

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to say except, what a great post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I don't know what to say except, what a great post!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubysmith)
    If this ever get found and read by someone. Please note that I am not an expert. I don’t claim to know all the answers to life and its troubles. I am basically a one person in the 7 billion people world sharing their story in hopes that what I have learned would help at least one person. It sounds sort of cheesy, but it true.
    I have always considered myself to suffer from anxiety. Social anxiety, fear, depression etc. I believed that I had the symptoms of every mental condition that screws with your head and stops you from achieving the things you want to do. I have seen and met many people who I believe were in the same situation. Some people find empowering “you can do it!” speeches work and motivates them to leave that rut. Others turn to medication. Personally I don’t believe that this is a helpful solution. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of evidence based medicine out there which have proven the theories that it works. But I see this solution like this metaphor: let’s say a pipe burst and water spills everywhere as a result. Instead of attending to the damaged pipe, you decided to place a bucket in front of the spewing water. Replacing the bucket each time it fills up. In the case the bucket represents the medication and the water the mental issue. The medication works to fix the issue but only temporarily. The main problem still exists.
    I have seen people that don’t pity those in my position. They feel as though we are doing this on purpose. We are really stupid because we have the tools in front of us but do nothing about it. Yes, we have the tools and means to do whatever we want to but we can’t. I can’t sometimes. Mental issue in my opinions is the worst sickness you can ever have. And to blame the individual is just wrong…to an extent. Let me explain. In most cases there is an underlining reason why people allow themselves to sink into this feeling. In my case it was fear of failure. If I never try I never fail. Simple as. Fear of something bad occurring, if I was never there it can never happen. “I’m just gonna stay in my little bubble and protect myself from the harsh reality of life”. I waited for people to come save me. To show me the way and guide me down the right path so I don’t have to look for it myself. But after years of waiting I realised that no one is going to do that for me. I have to do it myself.
    Staying in that bubble helps you but it also destroys you. It saves you but also breaks you by not allowing you to do what makes you happy. This is not an inspirational speech, it a reality check. If you don’t do the things that make you happy you’re going to regret it. Your bubble may protect from the fear of failure but guess what? By staying in there you are guaranteed to fail. At least when you step out you have a chance of success. But you have to work hard to get it!
    I want you to imagine you had a magic wand. Now, dream up your perfect life (and be realistic. No point in saying I want a billion dollar next week). Anything at all that you want put in that dream and be as detailed as you can. Seems scary, huh? To even imagine it. But you can achieve it. Nothing in this world can’t be gotten by hard work. Work hard. Look at your dream life and look at your life now, and think of the steps you need to get from A to B. Then go for it! It is as simple as that. It’s actually not as complicated as your mind makes it out to be (trust me, I know how screwed up things can get in there)
    Whenever you feel down recall that dream life and continue to work hard again. Lastly (as this is a long ass statement) be sure to enjoy the journey. No need to punish yourself, enjoy yourself but do it cautiously- suffer now, to enjoy later 
    Good post!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.